If my Insurance is new will I have problems?

Jodi H.
on 6/10/04 5:35 am - Amesbury, MA
Hi everyone, Does anyone know about insurance. I have Harvard Pilgrim and it sees that not to mant people have had any problems with it. however my insurance just started on June 1. I am hopeing that I do not have a problem. NEMC is saying 3-4 months for surgery. Any help with this?? Thanks Jodi
sharons_ma
on 6/10/04 8:29 am - Boston, MA
Hi Jody, I just got my approval letter today from Harvard Pilgrim. On my first attempt, no less. Now, I've been an HP subscriber for a while, but so long as your primary care physician refers you and you have all the co-morbidities and proof of attempted weight loss, I don't see why. The only potential issue would be if they deemed that your obesity is a "pre-existing" condition. I don't know much about insurance laws, but if you change insurance companies because of your place of employment changed companies, I'm not sure if they can use that exclusion. My best advice would be to ready your policy and see what it says. Does it have a pre-existing condition clause? Either way, it doesn't hurt to ask, now does it? Speak to your PCP and get the ball rolling. Some times it can take as long as a year to obtain a date, by that time you would have been grandfathered in, so to speak. Best of luck to you!! -Sharon
Richard
on 6/10/04 9:58 am - MA
Revision on 01/06/14
Jody One of the good things about living in Massachusetts is that the state has some pretty good consumer protection laws. One of them states that "Massachusetts health insurance policies can not exclude coverage for a pre-existing condition". And Harvard Pilgrim started covering the Lap Band a few months ago. Richard
Jodi H.
on 6/10/04 11:55 am - Amesbury, MA
That is even better to hear!!! I a still trying to decide which surgery! I hope that all works out for me. The process seems to be moving quick now! Everyone's input is very helpful! Jodi H.
Jodi H.
on 6/10/04 11:53 am - Amesbury, MA
Thanks Sharon! I hope that all goes well in that department! Jodi-
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 681 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2251 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4438 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs