Can any one help me

Sadinna P.
on 6/8/04 3:23 pm - Haverhill, MA
Ok i am so thinking about the band surgery. But one problem, I dont know where to start I've been reading so much on the pro's and con's on the surgery. I don't have health insurance yet i'm getting it shortly though But I want to know if any one can let me know that has the band surgery how it effects them. Thanks so much
Richard
on 6/9/04 11:11 am - MA
Revision on 01/06/14
Sadinna The truth is that over at the Lap Band forum we have a hard time understanding why so many people are getting an RNY when they could get the band. Unless you need quick weight loss for some medical reason I just don't understand it. It's safer, reversable, quick recovery, adjustable, less complications, non-invasive and you loose more weight with the band than an RNY. If they come up with a better way to loose weight in 5 or 10 years you are not stuck with an irreversable situation. The mortality rate with an RNY is 1 in 50 but with the band it's 1 in 2000. Why have an permanent, dangerous RNY when you can have a safe, reversable operation with better results? I just don't get it. Richard
Shrinking S.
on 6/9/04 9:25 pm - South coast, MA
Don't know where you are getting your statistic Richard but they do not jive with data produced on the RNY sites. Your mortality rate is just plain WRONG! You are also presenting the "band" as the de facto safe method. It too has complications, is deemed "experimental" by some insurance companies, and can be more easily "eaten" around. Some insurance companies will only cover limited "fills". You are on your own once the limit is reached. The band is ANOTHER way to accomplish weight loss. Please do not mitigate the benefits of RNY because it does not fit your perceptions or biases. I had an OPEN RNY in early February. Currently down 96 pounds. Weight loss is very individualistic. It depends on your committment, starting point, and general health as to how much is lost, not the type of surgery performed. Hope your journey goes well and you meet all the objectives you set up. I am extremely pleased with my progress. Be Well Rick 360/264/210 OPEN RNY 02/02/2004
Knotty D.
on 6/9/04 10:22 pm - Marlborough, MA
My BMI was exactly 41 when I started my WLS journey, and I looked into both band and RNY, and my surgeon told me I could have either. I chose the RNY done laparascopically, and for good reasons. Even though my stomach anatomy has been irreversibility changed, and I need yearly follow up for the rest of my life, is it really any different from someone with hypertension or diabetes? Not in my book. The band has fewer POTENTIAL complications, but every time you need a fill, you are trotting back to the doctor for a fill and need to revert back to a liquid diet. The band is also only good for about 20 years, so you are right back into surgery later in life when you don't so so well with surgery. Also, I would totally be drinking fribbles and the band does nothing to prevent that. The method of weight loss is a personal choice so lets all be more constructive and try to support each other, we are all obese and the rest of the world is busy enough judging us, we don't need to start doing it to each other. My two cents... Joe
Richard
on 6/10/04 12:33 am - MA
Revision on 01/06/14
Rick and Joe I can understand your wanting to support your type of surgery, but the points you make are wrong. The simple fact is that most "RNY sites" either have bad info on the band or they lie. I do represent "the band as the de facto safe method" because it is the safest surgery by a factor of at least 10 to 1. Here is proof of the 1 in 50 mortality for a bypass. http://www.pslgroup.com/dg/23dfca.htm The band is not "experimental" by definition. It was approved by the FDA in June 2001. The idea that insurance companies do not cover fills is ridiculous. You are referring to an early problem some people had with how to codify a fill for reimbursement. My fills are not done by a doctor but by a nurse using a needle and her bare hands. It takes about 5 minutes and is done during a regular follow up visit. The average person will get about 4 fills in their entire lifetime. The band does not wear out and never needs to be replaced. The silastic it is made out of is good for hundreds of years in the body. The 20 years you refer to is the guarantee period of the manufacturer. Dumping can help with weight loss but since only about 40% experience dumping it is not a valid reason to choose an RNY. And Rick, this is one of the places I get my statistics, including the fact that you loose more with the band than an RNY. http://www.spotlighthealth.com/nasp/beyond_change/moarticle.asp?article_id=78 Richard
Knotty D.
on 6/10/04 2:14 pm - Marlborough, MA
Hey Richard, very interesting study, but I am not buying it. Data from 1987 to 2001? During that time, many people died from clots and embolisms, and medicine has learned from earlier surgeries and now many people after RNY take an anti-clotting medication. The other thing to remember is how morbidly obese someone is changes their risk factor. In the earlier days I would estimate that only the severly obese underwent bypass surgery, so those numbers are going to be skewed, of course the sickest patients are more likely to die. And by the way, regarding fills, do you mean a nurse and her bare hands or her gloved hands? I hope it's the latter. LOL
hope4life
on 6/11/04 12:48 am - W. Bridgewater, MA
I am having an Open RNY and when I had the Info Session the Chief of Bariatric Surgery who (and his co-surgeons have also) been well educated has informed us of the many options that we can have. They didn't "bash" any type of surgery despite what they are most experience in. My surgeon and the chief informed us that the RNY is the safest way to go...in his opinion.....But all in all, it is all a matter of preference. Any type of surgery has its risks. Some more than others. Alot of people like having it Laproscopically done...but surgery takes longer but I chose...I chose....to have it open and that is the surgeon who prefers to do it that way. They have a surgeon on staff who does the Lap Band if that is what I want. I am sorry that you have this opinion on RNY's.....Because I have spoken to many people who have had a sucessful WLS. Every person will react to surgery in their own individual ways too. Will I die from complications? Who knows. Will I get hit by a car on the way to my mailbox that is across the street from my house? Who knows. I am not knocking anyones decison to have any surgery that will help them be healthy. But telling someone that one way is the best way isn't right. I am so happy that LapBand helped you. That is fantastic. It really is but I am also happy for those who Lap RNY works for and for those who have DS or Open RNY's too. As for suggesting to a person the best way to go for THEM, I can't do that because it is a personal choice. I do suggest to someone is do your homework and research research research and YOU make the choice for what YOU feel is the best for YOU. Sorry for babbling and I am not condemning anyone here so I apologize now if I sound critical. I'm not. Good Luck on your decision and hope that YOU make the best choice for YOURSELF. Erin
Richard
on 6/11/04 2:41 am - MA
Revision on 01/06/14
It is not my intension to bash the RNY. I'm sure it is the best surgery in certain situations. However it is common these days for the RNY community to spread old, contradictory and just plain wrong information about the band. Some of the posts above are proof of this. When people are making life and death decisions they need and deserve accurate information. That is what OH is all about. The idea that an RNY is as safe or safer than the band is absurd. Anyone making such a claim is horribly uninformed. Spreading such lies is totally irresponsible. This is NOT open to opinion it is fact. I don't think you could find even one informed doctor that would back that idea.
(deactivated member)
on 6/11/04 9:08 am - haverhill, MA
HI, I didn't have the band...I had the Open Rny. I really do not know enough about the band to help you . Just wanted to welcome you to the board! I live in Haverhill too.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 681 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2251 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4438 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4574 views