Still can't decide

Jodi H.
on 6/8/04 5:30 am - Amesbury, MA
This surgery has been on my mind since I went to NEMC on June 1st. I still have a long way to go. I have found a bunch of great info but cant' decide between the LAP or BYPASS?
DJJCHARRIS
on 6/8/04 6:53 am - Winchendon, MA
I suggest you go thru the who process which could take a year. You do not need to make a decission until you actually meet the surgeon in the end. I myself had the lap rny and I would not have chosen any different knowing what I do now and how great I am feeling. Best of wishes Dawn -73
Jodi H.
on 6/8/04 7:15 am - Amesbury, MA
Thanks--but the process is moving quickly now and I will meet the surgeon soon. In a few weeks. Just curious-does how much a person weighs have anything to do with what procedure they should have done?
ncrocker64
on 6/9/04 12:43 am - Merrimac, MA
Hi Jodi, I don't think it so much has to do with weight but the girth of your middle. My surgeon says men are harder to operate on because they tend to carry most of their weight in the belly. I myself am having open rny on JUne 28th and not having any second thoughs about it. I have read that with the LAP if your a very large person it can be harder because they need to use longer tools which are harder to manipulate. And in talking to others I have hear that both are painful and the revovery time is still the same because the insides (new plumbing) take longer to heal. Hope this info is helpful. Nancy
Jodi H.
on 6/9/04 12:53 am - Amesbury, MA
Thanks Nancy! I am leaning towards the by pass for many reasons. It is a little scary, but I am doing much needed research to be sure. Thanks Again!
Donna D.
on 6/9/04 2:34 am - Randolph, MA
Jodi, You definitely want to do the research & talk to people on this site about their experiences. Some of the decision will be about your weight or size & whether the surgeon does or is willing to do the lap RNY. I am having surgery on June 25 & although I exceed the weight limit for the lap RNY they are going to attempt it because I am pear shaped & technically they might be able to do it. If not they will convert to open. Some people recover faster from the lap but I am 53 years old so I don't expect to bouncing around for a few weeks anyway. Hope that helps. Donna
Jodi H.
on 6/9/04 3:04 am - Amesbury, MA
Thanks Donna! This web site has been great. I am so glad that my Dr. suggested that I go to it and check it out. It is great to hear both sides if the fence. Thanks for the input. I have about 3 months to make a decision.
Richard
on 6/9/04 7:21 am - MA
Revision on 01/06/14
Jodi I had the Lap Band at NEMC last November. Dr. Shikora was my surgeon. I spent one night in the hospital and was back to work in a week. I have lost 62 pounds in 6 months and 78 pounds since last summer. I think the band is a great choice because it is adjustable and reversable. I am including a link to information that shows you will loose more weight with the band than a bypass. It is also much safer. http://www.spotlighthealth.com/nasp/beyond_change/moarticle.asp?article_id=78 There is a Lap Band forum here at OH the link is below. http://www.obesityhelp.com/morbidobesity/surgtype-forums/LapBand/posts Richard
Knotty D.
on 6/13/04 11:45 am - Marlborough, MA
I can offer a unique perspective, as I had the Lap RNY 9 weeks ago, and I am down 60 pounds. My wife had the lap band the Friday before Memorial Day, and is down 16 pounds already. I had a 3 day hoispital stay, but bounced back very quickly (walking 1 mile on the day I got home). My wife's surgery was day surgery, and she spent no overnights in the hospital, and was ready for work in 3 days. We both expect to lose weight, and get healthier, but there are very important factors to consider... #1 Insurance - does your insurance cover either? or none? Call them and ask for their policies that govern weight loss. #2 Health Considerations - How sick are you with co-morbids? Can you have surgery, is day surgery better? This is very important as well. #3 How much weight to lose - Whichever one you choose will not guarantee long term successful weight loss, unless you stick to healthy eating habits. From what I have seen, people who fail the surgery (band or bypass) fall back into destructive eating habits, high calorie, high fats, etc. Good luck with your choice, whichever it may be. Joe
Jodi H.
on 6/13/04 11:52 am - Amesbury, MA
Thanks! I think that I am leaning towards the Bypass (LAP). I have started to change my eating habits already and will have some help from the classes that I must participate in for the next 6 weeks. They should help. Jodi-
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 681 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2251 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4438 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4574 views