MD's in Boston who do LAP RNY's?

Alyson M.
on 6/3/04 8:55 pm - Dennis Port, MA
I have a consult set up with Dr. Lautz, but I don't know if he's doing laps anymore because a staple gun misfired on him and the patient passed away... I'm really wanting a lap versus open. Who have you had and how was he/she?
Karen B.
on 6/3/04 9:12 pm - Vineyard Haven, MA
I went to Tufts-New England Medical Center - Obesity Consult Center. The doctors are Dr. Tarnoff and Shikora...they are incredible. The whole group of people, nutritionist, dietitician, psychologist, internist, office staff, are outstanding. I had my lap done 10 days ago and I've had no problems and I'm feeling almost back to normal. Dr. Tarnoff did mine. I would definately set up an appointment with this group. Karen
Shrinking S.
on 6/3/04 11:47 pm - South coast, MA
Alyson: Please consider your statement above about one of the many risks associated with this surgery. A staple gun misfiring has happened to several doctors in several hospitals. Dr. Lautz recognized the misfire and immediately converted the operation to open vs. lap. This patient was "at risk" before surgery, however the complications post surgery did not make recovery possible. I had my surgery just after the suspension by the hospital was lifted. My wife and I asked Dr. Lautz directly about the unfortunate death during my final consult with him. He spoke bluntly, but within HIPPA allowances, about the generalities of the problem with the staple gun. It is much more difficult to staple under lap than open. He drew two very specific diagrams showing the procedure. It was at this time, and based on his drawings, that I chose an open procedure. My confidence in the surgeon, surgical team and hospital staff remained extremely high and well placed. Please have your consult with Dr. Lautz. He will discuss all / any aspect or concerns you may have. He is a truly gifter surgeon, and has taught surgery techniques at the hospital in the past. Be aware that it is your specific physical condition that determines open vs. lap. IF there should be any problems during lap your technique will become open at that time. It is important that you recognize the tremendous down side of this surgery as well as the tremendous life restoring benefits that come to most.
Donna D.
on 6/4/04 4:23 am - Randolph, MA
I agree with the "Shrinking Swede", you have to weigh all the possible complications & you have to be examined to see if you are right for the Lap procedure. I would add 2 things: 1. we are all "at risk" because of our size & other co-morbidities 2. staple guns misfire in other procedures & he did do right by immediately converting to an open procedure. I am going to BIDMC & they are going to try the lap but will change to open if they have to. I excede the weight limit but my body shape makes it something they will attempt. My sister & 2 nieces had the open & did fine. Donna
Luann S.
on 6/4/04 10:29 am - Randolph, MA
My surgeon, Dr. Hess does Lap RNYs. He addressed the factors in the staple misfirings at my first visit and spoke about how BMC handled it. They have not had a misfire for LAP RNY, but I agree with the above about it being a very individual decision based on your own personal health history and surgeon's decision. LAP surgery does take longer, you are under general anesthesia much longer. I had a friend who had open with epidural anesthesia and said she did really well post-op with minimal pain. So everyone is different! Good luck! Luann
Mary M.
on 6/6/04 6:00 am - Marlbourgh, MA
Hello, My husband and I both had our surgery at Tufts New England Medical. Dr.Shikora did both of ours. I can not say enough how wonderful they are there, the entire team that you see takes such a personal interest in you and are willing to answer any questions you may have. They are very up front and tell you all the risks. I am now 2 wks out and feel wonderful,my husband is now 4 weeks out and doing great.I wish you luck in your journey.
(deactivated member)
on 6/11/04 12:22 pm - South of Boston, MA
Hello! My husband and I *also* both went through Tufts/NEMC. We both had Dr. Michael Tarnoff. I had a lap-RNY with gall bladder removal almost ten weeks ago, and he had the lap-RNY almost five weeks ago. We're both doing fine now. (I'm down 53, he's down 25+) The program at NEMC is very thorough, my only complaint is that I have to get my butt BACK up there for the support groups post-op. (My own fault for being lazy!) Beth
cinnponce
on 6/6/04 11:52 am - Seminole, FL
Hi Alyson, I'm just starting on this journey. I also want lap surgery. I have decided to go with the surgeons at NEMC, they have an excellent reputation. My primary care physician recommended them to me. The program at NEMC is great and very supportive. My husband and I attended the orientation meeting and stayed for the post-op support last month. We were both very impressed. NEMC has a low complication rate and high success rate. I've had my first psych eval and I'm scheduled for my second eval. I can't wait. Sue
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 681 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2251 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4438 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4574 views