What is Distal? Proximal?

K M.
on 6/2/04 10:58 am - Norfolk, MA
I had RNY 12 weeks ago. I see Distal and Proximal mentioned. I don't know which one I had. . What is the difference between the two? I will be asking my surgeon next time I see him, which one I had. thanks, Kathleen
hope4life
on 6/2/04 10:52 pm - W. Bridgewater, MA
If I have my info in front of me I will be able to tell you. I don't want to pass along bad info. I will check on it cuz I should know this myself. But ask your surgeon. I think I will do the same when I go to my next appointment with him. Good question. Erin
Andrea K.
on 6/4/04 12:07 pm - Tyler, TX
Hi Kathleen. I'm an RN so I can answer your question in general terms. Distal is "away from" the body and proximal is "close to" the body. For instance the hand is distally located from the body and the shoulder is proximally located to the body. Now how this relates to RNY, I don't know. I haven't read up on it. I had the gastric band put in. Hope this helps a little.
Willi R.
on 6/6/04 10:33 am - Erving, MA
Kathleen, Distal, proximal, median. Three types of RNY. Each one is defined by how much small intestine is bypassed during the surgery. Distal is the most and Proximal the least with Median in between. You can ask your surgeon how much he bypassed. Willi Ryan
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 681 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2251 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4438 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4574 views