Any suggestions because I am freakin' out?????

Susan D.
on 5/28/04 10:15 pm - Fall River, MA
Hi All, I had my surgery on 4/8/04 and have lost 44 lbs. I have been incorporating the stage 5 diet slowly. Luckily I can tolerate different kinds of food BUT I noticed in the past few days that I have gained a pound and a half back. I got on the scale this morning and flipped out I don't understand what's going on??? Has this happened to anyone else? I never heard of anyone gaining weight I am not sure what to do? When I looked at the scale I thought I was going crazy and the funny thing is I am not eating all the food that is on the stage 5 diet guide that I have. I am also not sure if because I haven't been getting all my water in and if that will make a difference. Any info anyone can provide would be great...
sharons_ma
on 5/28/04 11:11 pm - Boston, MA
Hi Susan! I'm not post-op, but I've read a million posts on the main message board. Rule #1, don't panic!! Rule #2, if you're following plan, don't panic!! Rule #3, if you're not getting in you liquids, you may be retaining water, so drink up! Rule #4, if you're exercising, you may be building muscle which is more dense than the fat cells you are shrinking. That can cause a perceived weight gain. I would recommend regrouping. If you're not doing it already, log your intake and exercise to see if everything is as it should be. If not, tweek it until it is. -Sharon btw - Congratulations on 44lbs gone. Woohoo!!
(deactivated member)
on 5/28/04 11:46 pm - haverhill, MA
This is pretty normal. Congrats on the weight loss this far! When I was in the rapid losing mode....I would drop 5 pounds then gain a pound back...then drop another few....it just sort of happens. All you can do is keep the protein intake and water intake up.....keep the starchy foods to a minimum. You will be fine. Good luck.
DivaRN71
on 5/31/04 10:31 pm - RI
Hi Susan, Congrats on your weight loss!!! I am post op by a week so I am new to this, but I remember my nutritionist saying that if you eat under what you're supposed to you will reach a plateau or gain because you body will begin to store to prevent malnutrition . She also told me that the water is imperative to weight loss as well. I noticed that you live in the same city as me, yay for us !!!! I usually post in the RI message board because I had my surgery done in Providence. Do you attend a local support group for WLS? Is there one in the city? They say these help as well. Congrats neighbor on your weightloss, and cheers to us the new fabulous goddesses of FR Stephanie
p3santos
on 6/1/04 3:02 am - Fall River, MA
Hi Susan - glad to hear that you are doing better - 44 pounds???!!! WooHoo good for you!!! don't freak out - your body is probably still adjusting to your surgery - I should talk - I haven't been through it yet! you take care - I'm still praying for ya! p
DJJCHARRIS
on 6/1/04 4:33 am - Winchendon, MA
Susan don't freak you doing a great job. Unfortunately you have probably hit the time for your 1st plateau. It will be short, however aggrivateing. Your body is trying to figure out what the heck is going on. Don't worry you will begin to melt again. Also as women are.... periods play around with the gains. Best wishes. Dawn -70
Jacqueline C.
on 6/8/04 6:54 am - Woonsocket, RI
Susan, I'm still pre-op, but from what I've been able to gather, the rules that govern weight loss in a non-WLS person apply to a WLS person. That is, if you're not eating enough, your body will switch to "starvation" mode, and hold on to every last calorie! Also, you won't lose water weight unless you drink enough water. Your body holds water for reasons similar to why it hold on to food; it's not until the body knows it has "enough" that it will release the excess. Also, could your cycle be to blame? You could be retaining pre-mentrual fluid. Just some thoughts. Jackie
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 681 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2251 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4438 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4574 views