I'mmmm BBBBAAAcccckkkkkk!!!!

hope4life
on 5/10/04 4:18 am - W. Bridgewater, MA
OMG I qualify for the surgery!! WOO HOO!! I am soooo excited. I will try to keep this short since I have babbled on and on today....LOL. My BMI was 40.3. I qualified. They want me to get a clearance letter from my pulmonologist, which I have an appt with her on May 24th at 3PM. She is a doll and I am almost positive that she'll do it. They also want to have a clearance letter from my therapist. I told them that she isn't a psychiatrist but they said that it was OK, they know me better than anyone else. She knows how mentally stable I am. I see her on Monday at 6PM. I had a colonoscopy done last year and they want the results from that. The office will fax it over to Dr. Robinson's office today. I have to have a sleep apnea test, cardiologist, and some test to check for ulcers, a GI something. I will be having an Open RNY. Dr. Robinson told me not to gain any more weight for he will end up cancelling surgery if I do. I did ask one question about leaks and when does he do the leak test but he said that he doesn't do a leak test unless there is a cause too. Shouldn't he do the test anyways before you go home?? That is a concern to me now that I have time to comprehend what he said. Dr. Robinson also asked if I knew what I was getting into? I said that I did and I was debating over this decision for the last 3 years and I have been doing research research research....He just said "OK" That was it. The PA was just so funny and nice. I can't pronounce her name...Genie or Neenee. I am not sure but she was absolutely awesome!! He seems like a very competent man. I am so beside myself. WOO HOO!!! I am now just waiting to get a date. But I won't get a date until I pay a $500.00 administrative fee. (It is relatively new requirement) But I don't mind cuz I just got my state tax check in and I will use that to pay for some of it anyways. They do payment plans. But $500.00 has to be paid before any surgery can be scheduled. I am so nervous and excited and ready to just yell off the roof that I am FINALLY gonna be healthy!!!! WOO HOO!!!!! I am on Cloud 9. If you made it this far, thank you. Erin
sharons_ma
on 5/10/04 8:50 am - Boston, MA
Congratulations!! That is excellent news. I noted on your profile that you have Tufts. Did they pre-approve you? or is it a done deal because Dr. Robinson said so? I'm just curious. My initial is Thursday (same place, different DR) and I'm wondering if they say it's a go if I need to hassle with the insurance like other folks have. Best of luck with the rest of your tests! Sharon
Jason B.
on 5/10/04 9:36 am
I'm so happy for you!! Now aren't you glad you didn't give up? I knew you would find someone who would do the surgery. How come all you need to do is pay $500.00 to get a date? Will that work for me as well? Congrats, Jason
Brendielee
on 5/10/04 9:38 am - Groton, MA
Congratulations Girl!!!!!
hope4life
on 5/10/04 8:47 pm - W. Bridgewater, MA
Thanks everyone!! Jason, I don't think that you have to do that because this is something that Brigham & Women's just started doing. You're seeing Dr. Bodner right???? So I wouldn't worry about that. They would have told you right away about it. So don't worry. Sharon, I still have to get all my clearances from therapist, pulmonologist, cardiologist, and all the results from the testing that they want me to do. Then they will submit everything into my insurance company and then when the insurance company approves the surgery is when they will schedule my surgery. They told me that it will be about another 2 weeks before I get the appts with the nutritionist and for the GI test, cardiologist, sleep apnea test. Jennifer is really busy so they told me to call them back after 2 weeks if they haven't got in touch with me. Thank you everyone for listening to me whine, vent and act like a crazy...LOL......I appreciate your patience with me. LOL. Erin
Knotty D.
on 5/10/04 9:18 pm - Marlborough, MA
Congrats! That is great news! I am curious to what an administration fee is for? If you have insurance, I am not sure the doctor can charge you fees outside the HMO. He made an agreement with the HMO to take you as a patient and to take payment for all fees per the contract. I would ask Tufts if they will cover the fee, but I wouldn't pay anything until you check first. Good Luck. Joe
hope4life
on 5/10/04 10:47 pm - W. Bridgewater, MA
Hi Joe! They told us what the fee was (and insurance does not cover) for at the Info Session. I thought I wrote it down but I just checked. All I noted was that this is a new thing and alot of hospitals are doing it now. Actually $500.00 is cheaper than alot of places. Some are charging $700-$1000.00. It seemed reasonable but I didn't note it down. **doh*** This is what my notes say: All surgical patients are charged w/ a $500.00 administrative fee. Can be paid in installments or all at once. Just let the office know, they are really flexible but MUST be paid before surgery. Will only be charged the fee when you are approved for surgery. Will NOT be charged the fee until you are insurance approved and surgery is a go. That is all I have. There was so much info at the meeting I was trying to write it all down. But I guess alot of hospitals are doing this now. If you are concerned, I would ask your surgeon. Erin
DJJCHARRIS
on 5/11/04 5:34 am - Winchendon, MA
congrats. You are well on your way to being a loser!!! Take care and follow the Surgeons directions to the T. Dawn -69
hope4life
on 5/11/04 10:53 pm - W. Bridgewater, MA
Thanks Dawn but I still have a long road ahead. I qualify for surgery but doesn't mean that the Insurance will pay. That is what I dread BUT I do believe that Tufts is pretty OK about paying for WLS. I am waiting to get the dates for all the tests they want to have done. All I need to have done is: Get a clearance from the cardiologist, I have to have a Sleep Apnea test done, get a GI test done to rule out ulcers from reflux, waiting to get clearance from my pulmonologist and clearance from my therapist. Once all that is done then they will submit my letter of medical necessity and I'll hopefully hear 24-48 hrs after they receive all of this. Keeping my fingers crossed and I am not going to count my chickens before they hatch. My new motto until I am post-op.....LOL. Thanks for the cheers and support. Erin
Jadeloose
on 5/17/04 2:21 am - revere, MA
Hi Erin Had a chance to stop in and saw your post!! Im so thrilled for you congrats!* Kristen
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 681 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2251 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4438 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4574 views