Hi all

Carol T.
on 5/8/04 5:30 am - Lawrence, MA
Well I am finally home from the hospital, right now I am wondering why did I do this? They nick my leg nerver when they gave me an epidural which is restricting the amount of walking I can do. I am so full of gas I can't even move. I can't eat anything it just makes the gas worse! I sound like I am whinning I guess I am. But thanks to all who wished me well, any ideas on the problems above let me know Thanks Carol
sharons_ma
on 5/9/04 12:20 am - Boston, MA
Carol, Welcome back. I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing some less-than-comfortable side effects. Did they give you an idea of when you can expect you to resume full function for walking? Can you take anything for the gas? Gas-X?? Anything to make you comfortable? Hope you feel better soon! - Sharon
Carol T.
on 5/9/04 7:26 am - Lawrence, MA
Hi Sharon, Today I due feel better, very dizzy though. Also feeling very weak. They found out that I am allergic to the nexium they had prescribed for me when I got home that was causing the bloating. But I due have another question...I can't swallow more than 4 oz (if I am lucky) at a time or CIB or any protein shake or broth is this normal? Carol
sharons_ma
on 5/9/04 7:50 am - Boston, MA
I'm glad to hear that you are feeling better. Poor you, having an allergy attack on top of major surgery. I haven't had surgery myself. (In fact, this thursday is my initial consult with Dr. Lautz. I'm both nervous and excited. ) However, I have read on the main message board that this is common. The amount you can consume is directly related to the size of the pouch. You may have a 4oz pouch. I've read that it is important to sip, sip, sip your way through the day to ensure you are getting enough liquids. Again, I'm no expert. You may consider going to the main message board and posting a question for post-ops. Have a great day! - Sharon
Brendielee
on 5/9/04 10:19 am - Groton, MA
Hi Carol... I'm about a little more than a week post op and I had the same problem with the drinks...couldn't get more than about 4 oz in. Started to get dehydrated so I really mostly concentrated on my water until I could get more in me. It will pass and every day is a little better than the day before. Good luck! Brenda
hope4life
on 5/9/04 9:13 pm - W. Bridgewater, MA
Hi Carol! I am so sorry that you are having a rough time of it. I don't know how you feel but I want you to know that I do hope that you are feeling 110% better soon. Sorry that you had a bad reaction to medicine. Must have been horrible. I do hope you feel better and I am thinking of you and hoping for a speedy recovery. ((((HUGS))))) Erin
Carol T.
on 5/17/04 3:26 am - Lawrence, MA
Hi Erin, Thanks for the thoughts, it has been a tough go of it. First I was sick when I got home from the hospital, then my dog (which was at the kennel) got sick and I had to figure a way to get him to the vet and then home. Been fighting with my parents, love them to death but just wish to be alone to recoop. Still having a lot of problems with water a protein intake I can not take enough in a day. I am no where near what I should be. I am getting only 8-12 ounces of protein a day and on a good day 24 oz of water. I know that is why I feel tired and unable to be up and moving for long. Otherwise I feel just great! Carol
Knotty D.
on 5/17/04 9:54 pm - Marlborough, MA
Hi Carol, sorry to hear about your troubles. I have a suggestion for you to help increase your protein intake, provided you can have moist or pureed foods. If you get some carb smart or atkins advantage bars, they have 20-24 grams of protein per 60 gram bar. You could eat one a day and get half your protein in. I need to take in 60 grams, so I use 1 to 1+1/2 per day. I am sick of Carnation Instant Breakfast, and I can't tolerate any red meat, so right now the bars are a lifesaver. For my fluid intake, I bought a shot glass. This holds 4 ounces of water, and I sip that and it reminds me to keep drinking. How much have you lost? Getting to a healthy weight is worth all the crap you are going through now. Good Luck. Joe
Carol T.
on 5/19/04 2:29 am - Lawrence, MA
Hi Joe, Thanks for the thoughts, I will try the bars, I am at the puree food. I am feeling better each day. I'm just so tired and can't do anything for over 1/2 hour without taking a nap. But posting to here is great cause I found out what I am going through is normal so that is a relief! Thanks Again Carol
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 681 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2251 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4438 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4574 views