Post Op, but gained weight.

Patty S.
on 5/6/04 1:42 am - Haverhill, MA
Hi, I have been lurking for a while. I am 5+ years post-op, Dr. Forse, at Beth Isreal. In the past 3 years I have put back on 65% of the weight I lost after the surgery. Has any other long post-op patients battled this? What have you done or did you do to get back to the weight that made you feel good? Any advice or assistance would be appreciated. Patty
DJJCHARRIS
on 5/6/04 6:34 am - Winchendon, MA
Sorry things things are turning backfor you Patty. Maybe you need to go back to the diet basics. Its good to hear from you and how the world revolves around this lifestyle down the road. Don't just lurk, let us know how you really are. I wish you all the best. Dawn -69
Patty S.
on 5/6/04 10:54 pm - Haverhill, MA
Dawn, Thanks, actually short of using my one annual nutritionist visit (allowed by my insurance) I have started doing that. Also trying to get in exercise, but since it was the osteoarthritis in both knees that was one of the reasons I was recommended for the surgery, I have difficulties walking further than three steps. So that is a slow process. Patty
Veronica D.
on 5/7/04 11:31 am - MA
Dear Patty, My heart goes out to you... I am struggling very hard myself. i had surgery 3 years ago. had to lose 100 lbs. Lost 80, then stopped losing and have gained back 20, so now I still have 40 lbs to lose and I hate myself all the time for it. i've heard that some re-gain is very common, but i never even got to goal, and besides, my best friend had the surgery after me and is wicked skinny now. and she started out 70 lbs more than me!! each day i pray and try like hell to eat right and exercize, and each day I fail. there's no excuse. i feel like a hopeless addict. and i can't talk to anyone about this (except my therapist) because i am too ashamed. it sounds soooo simple when people tell me to get back to basics, to "just" eat less and drink more water and go to the gym. Yeah, i know all that, but for some horrible reason i have not managed to "just do it." being thin is the only thing I want-- that i don't already have. life is good otherwise, but my self-hate is ruining everything. thank you for listening. thank god for these support groups (there's one at www.spotlighthealth.com too) and for people like you who are honest. my email is [email protected]
Patty S.
on 5/8/04 6:17 am - Haverhill, MA
Veronica, Thank you for the encouragement and I have one question for you. Are you able to get up every morning and put your head on your pillow every-night? If you can answer "yes", then you haven't failed. You are experiencing a setback. And to those who think they are helping by sayIng-exercise more, eat less have not been in your shoes. My fiancé says let's go for a walk, then gets upset after I go 10 steps and stop because my knees start to ache. Then he'll stop at Baskin-Robbins "thinking", I wanted ice cream. I wish that I had found this site 3 years ago. Maybe I could have averted the weight gain. Do not be ashamed to talk to anyone. I am around, willing to listen and cheaper than a therapist. Patty [email protected]
DramaQueenJessica
on 5/8/04 7:41 am - Wayland, MA
Well, Im still pre-op but Ive heard of people doing a revision... would that be possible for you? Also Im wondering if you started over from the beginning with protein rich foods if that would help.
Patty S.
on 5/9/04 5:37 am - Haverhill, MA
Jessica, The irony of it's that my stomach has not increased, it's still the size as if I was 12 months post op. I eat small meals, but 9 times out of 10 I go for the quick and easy foods. I have started replacing breakfast with CIBs, but I usually reach for chips or sweets an hour later. I have started stocking fruit cups in my office. I just wish that my knees would not hurt when I walk. To be honest, after all of the complications I suffered with the first surgery, I do not think I would go through a revision unless it was absolutely necessary. Patty
cinnponce
on 5/10/04 8:20 pm - Seminole, FL
Hi Patty, Sorry to hear you are having a hard time. I have not had surgery yet but did have probablems with my knees hurting when I tried to walk. I also had a hairline stress facture in my left foot a while ago. My doctor suggested doing any kind of exercise. She told me to do arm exercises and march in place while sitting down. I even ordered a bicycle peddler (only $10.00) from Carol Wright and used that while watching TV. It's not the same as walking but it is a start to build up strength and at least get yourself started on some exercise routine. Maybe that would be an option to start. Good Luck to you. Sue
Patty S.
on 5/11/04 12:01 am - Haverhill, MA
Carol, I tried one of those sit down walkers. Hated it. Due to the arthritis in my knees and the bursitis in the joints on the left side of my body it is very difficult to sit-walk or ride a bike. I have purchased a tri-wheeled walker, this way I can go out with my dog. Patty
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 681 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2251 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4438 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4574 views