38 POUNDS

Jason B.
on 4/13/04 9:33 pm
Is what the doctor asked me to lose before surgery. I'm not sure how i'm going to be able to do that. I can't exercise i'm in too much pain with my back. I've never been able to lose that much weight. I was thinking about doing atkins again but can't seem to get into it. What did you guys do to lose the weight. What do you think of meal replacement drinks. Do they really fill you? I don't know if those would work for me.
Carolyn C.
on 4/13/04 10:37 pm - Watertown, MA
Hi Jason I too had to lose some weight before surgery. I gave up coffee and all regular soda. This helped alot. You can lose over 2 pounds a week just giving up regular soda. Also, no eating after 8pm helped too!!! Good Luck! Carolyn
Luann S.
on 4/14/04 12:56 am - Randolph, MA
Hi Jason, I am just starting this journey myself but like everyone here I have lost weight in the past-just can't keep it off that's why I'm looking at surgery! I have done a partial liquid diet, 2 shakes and a "regular" meal and lost 15 lbs relatively quickly. The thing I would worry about with a full liquid diet is making sure that you are getting enough nutrients. The purpose of losing weight before surgery as I see it has a few aspects: to get you into better condition for surgery and post-op healing, to teach you a new way of eating for after the surgery, and to see if you have the committment to stick to a new way of life. I would worry about having adequate intake of protein and vitamins(especially Vit C) to promote post-op healing with a prolonged liquid diet. I wouldn't recommend say just doing Slimfast without some medical supervision. I liked having my real meal once a day, because I like to chew! I also did the South Beach Diet for a while and had good results, lost 20 lbs over a month. I think it is healthier than Atkins, much more "livable" and includes vegetables and good fats from the start and eventually you add fruits and high fiber carbs. The recipes in the book are great, but it can be expensive (but so isn't overeating the things that aren't good for us!) Just my opinion and certainly not with any experience with the surgery. Good luck! You can do this! Luann
Michelle S.
on 4/14/04 3:19 am - Fitchburg, MA
Hi Jason - I had to lose weight as well before my surgery. I had given up soda which helped some, but not much. Before my surgery, I had a huge appetite. I couldnt just sit down to just one helping. I had to have seconds and, sometimes thirds. A friend of mine suggested I use a saucer size plate, instead of a normal size plate. That really helped out alot. Also, chewing slower is also the key. I also walked a little bit. Before I had decided to have the surgery, you could not get me walking if my life depended on it; But because my doctor required me to lose weight, I started walking slowly up and down my street and that escalated to around my neighborhood and that helped as well. Hope you find this information helpful. ~Michelle~
Liz F.
on 4/14/04 8:52 am - West Quincy, MA
Jason - ask your doctor if he prescribes a protein drink called HMR - that is what I am on now - I lost 31 lbs. with it so far - it is not too bad, but is kinda pricey, and I know where you work You can do it - I know you can! HUGS! Liz F. West Quincy, MA. Pre-Op
DramaQueenJessica
on 4/14/04 10:38 pm - Wayland, MA
Dr. B wants me to lose 25lbs and its SOOOOOO hard. Im having a really hard time with this. When you get the answers lemme know.. lol. I think Im going to go on the post-op diet that the nutritionist gave me, STARTING right now!!! Meal replacement drinks are loaded with sugar and carbs.. they make me even MORE hungry. Seems that protein rich foods make me less apt to pick thru out the day (which is my problem) than carb loaded ones. Maybe this will help you. If I eat ONE hard boiled egg in the am.. Im cool till lunch, if I eat a bowl of cereal, Im hungry 30 minutes later. I wonder if MO and O people are wired that way???!!!
Jason B.
on 4/15/04 11:51 am
When I was only eating protien I was never hungry. It was amazing to be in total control. I never craved anything it! I just couldn't stick to it. I dropped 20 lbs with no trouble at all. Some friends and I went to this bakery in Natick that claimed to sell low carb stuff. So I bought some delicious muffins so good in fact that I knew right away they were made with real flour. I emailed them to ask what was in them with no response. Several month's later channel 7 news did a special under cover report and found that their food not only had flour but real sugar. Which for the diabetics must have caused problems. They didn't know what to say when they were confronted. For me it totally messed up my diet. My point is be careful what is marked low carb.
DramaQueenJessica
on 4/15/04 10:41 pm - Wayland, MA
I dont buy pre-made low carb stuff.. I just read the labels. If the protein is higher than the carbs.. then Ill eat it.. if not.. then teh carb count has to be under 10 per serving. I see Dr. B on 4/27. I have a feeling he's gonna be mad at me.
Jason B.
on 4/16/04 12:43 pm
Don't worry about the dr being mad. Tell him you are doing the best you can. Stick with pure pretien you'll lose at least 5-7 pounds in a week maybe more. I think this is the only way I'll lose the weight for now. Remember, it's only a short period of time. If you stick with it it will work to your benefit. Jason
DramaQueenJessica
on 4/16/04 10:00 pm - Wayland, MA
Great suggestions, Jason. Thanks. Now I just gotta stick to implementing them. Being home all day with my brats has me picking cuz Im sooo busy.. but its for my health. Hey, are you gonna go to the support group meeting on the 27th??? 6pm cafeteria annex. (the little room at the back of the caf.)
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 681 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2251 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4438 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4574 views