I have another silly question....

hope4life
on 4/9/04 4:32 am - W. Bridgewater, MA
What is a spirometer (sp??****ep hearing about? What is it for?? Does everyone need it?? I feel so silly again **blush** but I guess curiosity is killing this cat...LOL. Erin
p3santos
on 4/9/04 5:32 am - Fall River, MA
Erin - that is a breathing contraption that they give you in the hospital to exercise your lungs after surgery so you won't get pneumonia - everyone who has any kind of surgery needs one
Willi R.
on 4/9/04 12:08 pm - Erving, MA
Erin, Don't feel silly about asking questions. If you have never seen a spirometer then how in the world would you know what one was? Ask away anytime. Willi
Jadeloose
on 4/9/04 12:12 pm - revere, MA
Hi Erin, Yes that is the plastic tube with the ball inside, you inhale with it in your mouth and the ball goes up... this helps expand your lungs so pnemonia doesnt set in. Im betting youve seen one before. After any surgical procedure they make you use this. Guess the lungs get relaxed during surgery, since your on a breath tube. So any surgery ive had i had to use one.
Helen F.
on 4/11/04 8:46 am - Quincy, MA
Hi - it's just a hand-held piece of plastic you breathe into, it doesn't hurt or anything like that. It's one more thing you schedule yourself to do during postop in the hospital (like sips of water every hour). It prevents pneumonia, and helps get your lung capacity back. Good luck!!
hope4life
on 4/11/04 9:57 pm - W. Bridgewater, MA
Thanks so much everyone. Right when you think that you know so much, I have found out that I still know so little. Thank you everyone for sharing your thoughts and experiences. It helps me in such a big way. I have been investigating my *** off but still, I know so very little. Thanks again over and over and over. Erin
Kelly D.
on 4/13/04 3:33 am - Boston, MA
Hi.. You will automatic get a spirometer from the hospital... Believe me I had problems breathing after my surgery that they rushed my to ICU!!!!!!!! Make sure that you do the breathing, it is very important... Kelly
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 681 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2251 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4438 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4574 views