Question-G-tube???????

Luann S.
on 4/8/04 8:42 am - Randolph, MA
I was looking over my packet from Dr. Hess the other night and I was reading the post-op instructions. It mentioned a G-tube?????? For 4-8 weeks???????? I am hoping that this was with open surgery (it was written in 1995) and does not apply to lap. I can't think of any I would dislike more that a g-tube (well maybe a couple, but they are close !) Please someone, tell me this isn't so!
DJJCHARRIS
on 4/8/04 10:23 am - Winchendon, MA
I had lap and I had no G-tube. I wish you all the best. I know this was the best thing I did in my life. Dawn -59
hope4life
on 4/8/04 10:44 pm - W. Bridgewater, MA
What is a G-Tube???? *blush* I feel silly asking. Erin
Luann S.
on 4/8/04 11:43 pm - Randolph, MA
Erin, A G-tube is a rubber tube going directly into the stomach through the skin so that fluids and some medications can be given directly into the part of the stomach that will be bypassed, allowing the new pouch part to rest until more healing takes place. It is often used in people who can't use the upper part of their digestive tract due to swallowing or esophogeal difficulties unrelated to bypass surgery. Don't be embrarassed to ask-no such thing as a silly quiestion!
Tanya C.
on 4/8/04 10:59 pm - palm Bay, Fl
I ended up with a G-tube for 3 weeks, but only because they found a mass on my small bowel. I would check with the surgeon.
(deactivated member)
on 4/8/04 11:02 pm - haverhill, MA
Call your doc and ask, but I do not think that they do this anymore....unless there are complications. I had an Open Rny and I know that I did not have a G-tube. I found that the best way to settle these little nagging questions is to ask...ask....ask!
Carolyn C.
on 4/10/04 10:35 pm - Watertown, MA
Hi there I had open RNY and no G-tube! Carolyn
Helen F.
on 4/11/04 8:56 am - Quincy, MA
I had lap RNY, no G-tube - but read your info carefully, and make sure you know all the possibilities of postop complications (I don't remember my doc ever mentioning that one, however). You can't can't expect the first few weeks to be fun, but MAN IS IT WORTH IT!!! I'd do it again in a heartbeat, but I'll never have to!! Good luck to you on your experience - Helen 263/184/145
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 681 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2251 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4438 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4574 views