Cravings

Jason B.
on 4/7/04 1:40 pm
So I am just starting out on my weight loss journey. I guess i'm worried because I am a snacker. Anything will do when I need a fix. I don't believe that I will be able to control them after surgery. I'm afraid I'll gain the weight back and also hurt my pouch by extra snacking. Now I'm not talking about totally pigging out just grabbing something until the desire goes away. Which is what I do now. After the surgery do the cravings go away? I've tried before to find other things to do besides eat but that seems to be the only thing to releave the craving. Did you struggle with this? What did you do to get over this?
hope4life
on 4/7/04 9:26 pm - W. Bridgewater, MA
Hi Jason! I haven't had the surgery....YET, but from what I have heard and read and such, you will probably lose your appetite in the beginning. I have heard that alot of people actully lose their taste for all of the "goodies" and "snacks" that they used to enjoy. I am NO expert by any means and this is only info from what I have "heard". I am a chocoholic. BIG TIME! I do love my carbonated drinks too. That is my fear as well, so you are not alone in this feeling. I was also told that once you get the sugars out of your system, you'll stop craving them. I don't hardly ever use salt so I guess that is a plus but again, I have not had the surgery and only going by what I have heard and from others experiences. I know I am not much help but I wanted to give you some input and to let you know that you are not alone. Erin
Jason B.
on 4/7/04 9:38 pm
You were a lot of help! I know from doing Atkins that you don't crave anything once you stop eating carbs. But I want to include some carbs. So I'm a little scared that I will gain the weight back. Or not lose any at all.
DJJCHARRIS
on 4/8/04 10:32 am - Winchendon, MA
You still have cravings but you realize that there are much better things to have for you. You think better and you eat better. Some snack ideas: soy nuts, sunflower seeds, sugar free popsicles or fudgicles, CHEESE, deli meats..... And believe me your pouch does not let you have much. You will do great. Your whole way of thinking changes after surgery. Your pouch will rule. Best of luck. Dawn -59
Helen F.
on 4/11/04 9:09 am - Quincy, MA
I agree with Dawn - plus, if you do have a pig-out postop, it's so much less than what it used to be. Your pouch won't let you do too much quantity, and dumping syndrome can stop you from going for the chocolate or high-fat stuff. You really need to look at it as a tool for a total change of how you look at food - it really does happen that you eventually think of it in terms of nutrition, getting in protein, fiber, while you have the room. I never thought of food that way before, but do now (and snacks- Quaker rice snacks are sooooo good!). Good luck Helen 263/184/145
Kim T.
on 4/13/04 1:16 pm - Dracut, MA
Hi Jason congrats on your decision!! and congrats on thinking ahead!!! I had Lap RNY done 4/7/04 and i was a BIG time snacker, i hardly sat for a meal, i just grazed all day long... and now after surgery, i still graze all day long now because i can only eat one bite at a time. it takes me about 2 hours to drink a 8oz protein shake!! and with every sip i'm full, when youre full you dont tend to crave... at least this is what i've found for only a week out of surgery. Good Luck!! ~Kim
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 681 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2251 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4438 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4574 views