First consultation

Luann S.
on 4/6/04 9:32 am - Randolph, MA
I had my first consultation today. I was going to cancel but I'm glad I didn't. I saw Dr. Hess in Quincy, who operates at Boston Medical Center, where I work. I have Blue Cross, so I don't need referrals from my primary to see any doctor, so I just went. I have been involved with the nutrition program at BMC for two years (not that it doesn't work- it has been helpful to me in many ways) so I knew the surgeons who do bypass have very good reputations. I felt very comfortable with Dr. Hess. So, I begin the path of all the initial testing and the approval by Blue Cross which I don't think will be a problem. He says it is usually 9 months from first visit to surgery, so I will look at this journey as a pregnancy(since that's the field of nursing in which I work) which hopefully will result in the birth of a new me! I also joined a gym (for 2 years) the other day, so I am going to focus on getting the exercise I need to keep up my good cholesterol, improve my cardiac function, help control my diabetes and if I lose some weight, too great! However, I have done enough diets and programs, that I am sick of spending so much of my life thinking about food! I want to be a person who learns how to eat to live, not one who lives to eat! Thanks for listening!
Tanya C.
on 4/6/04 11:37 am - palm Bay, Fl
Congratulations for taking the first step. Those nine months will fly by. I used to work at BMC too. I had my surgery with Dr Ameri in January. I have no regrets. Tanya
Jadeloose
on 4/6/04 12:26 pm - revere, MA
Luann Thats wonderful you kept your appointment, and im so glad you like and trust your Dr. Good to be on the inside at a hospital You got ot know some of the reputaions as the staf see it and that can sometimes be more information than one would ever get as a patient. Keep us posted Kristen
Mickeylpn
on 4/6/04 1:59 pm - Weymouth, MA
Good luck, I had my first consult with Dr Hess in April 03 and just had my surgery on March 26 just about 12 days ago. it is a long battle but worth it. Good luck and any questions feel free to ask... Michele
hope4life
on 4/6/04 9:57 pm - W. Bridgewater, MA
I am glad that you didn't cancel. Only YOU know when you are ready and you made that step. Congratulations!! We are here for you anytime. I like your attitude, it is very positive (I want to be a person who learns how to eat to live, not one who lives to eat!) Erin
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 681 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2251 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4438 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4574 views