1ST. Visit questions

Jason B.
on 3/22/04 10:50 am
Well I've been investigating this surgery for about 2 years most of the questions I had have already been answered. However most doctors do things differently from each other. I guess I am wondering what questions should I ask regarding the care that I will receive from the doctor and the nurses? I plan on having this done locally in Taunton instead of Boston. I thought I might get a quicker date that way. I should have started this a long time ago. I kept thinking I could do it on my own, but I can't. I kind of feel like a weight loss failure. I'm only doing it now because I keep getting bigger and bigger as the years move along. My body is killing me back pain and arthritis. I'm only 33. I can't take the pain like this much longer. Unfortunately, the doctors haven't been much help to me regarding my pain. I hope if I do this the pain will be relieved somewhat at least my chiropractor tells me it will. I hope I don't fail at this to. I actually like exercising, unfortunately moving hurts every single part of my body so I don't do it much. I've gained about 100lbs since I had my back injury 10 years ago. Like many of you I have tried every single diet out there probably twice. Only to lose and gain double back.
Helen F.
on 3/22/04 7:19 pm - Quincy, MA
Man, you are not alone. Gain a lot, lose a little, same old story. I had RNY 3 mos. ago, and am so very glad I did - I know that I never could have lost the weight without this tool. However, I would be more concerned about the number of surgeries your surgeon has done, and the comprehensiveness of the WLS program at the hospital, than the waitin time. You've already waited 2 years; I know it's hard to wait when you've finally reached that point in your mind that tells you it's time, but primary concern has to be your surgical outcome, and nothing replaces experience. I went to Tufts-NEMC, and recommend it highly. Dr.Shikora & Dr. Tarnoff have done > 700 laparoscopic bypasses, the nurses and dieticians all know exactly what they're doing while you're in post op. I've read a lot of postings where people went to hospitals that didn't have a comprehensive plan, and kept giving them regular meals post op - that's inexcusable! You're not a failure. You're an American, and this culture is whacked when it comes to eating, health, and appearance. But it sounds like you're ready to find health again, and you will feel soooo good - after only 2 mos. post op, I was off insulin, 2 meds for diabetes, and another for blood pressure. Amazing! Good luck to you -
DJJCHARRIS
on 3/23/04 12:44 am - Winchendon, MA
WLS is a good decision. I would always talk it up with anyone who asked. It has changed my life for the better and I feel great. Also at 33 I know I have extended my life expectancy now, so I can share more great times with my kids. Its a long process with lots of support groups available. You are not alone. Congrats because you have started the steps to becoming a loser. Dawn -52
Jason B.
on 3/23/04 1:29 pm
Thanks for your replies! I wish I found this site sooner. It probably would have helped me make my decision to do this much sooner. So much information is available. I still haven't been able to see it all yet.
Susan D.
on 3/23/04 11:01 pm - Fall River, MA
Hi Jason, Just wanted to welcome you to this page. It has helped me too, although I tend not to keep up with what's being posted. I am 36 and will be having Open RNY on 4/8. I have 15 days before surgery. The only advice I will give you is that you will "know" that it's right for you. Just like when you fall in love and know the other person is the one. At least that's what it was for me. I made my decision one day and have just tried to stay positive through out the process. Every time I either think or hear something negative, I just say to myself " I CAN do this!" I am not nervous or scared of the surgery, I just want it overwith so I can get on with my " new life". Definitely educate yourself as much as you can about the procedure, the care afterwards and especially surround yourself with supporters. There is a support group in Fall River, I am not sure if there is one in Taunton. The group meets every third Tuesday of the month from 6-7:30 pm. You are more than welcome to join us. Godd luck and don't hesitate to keep in touch
DramaQueenJessica
on 3/24/04 7:56 am - Wayland, MA
Hi, Jason. I noticed that you are going to Dr. Bodner. Me too! He has support meetings on the 4th Tuesday of every month in the Morton Cafeteria Annex (the little room in teh back of the caf) I went to my first one last night and it was wonderful and informative. Having backed out of surgery while on the table with the IV in my arm I need the extra support. Good luck with your journey.
Jason B.
on 3/24/04 11:10 am
Hi Susan, I agree with you. I honestly believe this is the right thing for me. I'm in way to much pain my health is failing and only seems to be getting worse. I have to do something now rather than later. I've put it off long enough. I hope I choose the right doctor. Hi Jessica, May I ask you your opinion of Dr. Borden? How long have you been seeing him? How long did it take you to get a date? Thanks, Jason
DramaQueenJessica
on 3/27/04 9:56 am - Wayland, MA
Dr. Bodner is great. Ive been seeing him pretty much monthly since November. My first pre-op appointment was in August.. after that it seemed like it took forever for me to get my pre-op testing done. My appts were in October for my psych consult and nutritionist, ekg, chest xrays and blood tests. Then I played the waiting game until end of November beginning of December. I got my date in January. It took 3 weeks to find out that I was approved. March 8th was my date but I had issues with the relaxation meds and ultimately chickened out of surgery, THEN. I am still in this journey. He is a very confident surgeon, which helps immensely. It takes the edge off the fear of surgery. BTW I think I was at the office when you had your pre-op meeting with Dr. B. If I remember correctly, you were upset because it seemed as if everyone was going into see the doc before you. (I was with the little boy) Good luck on your journey, my email is always open, and if you want, I can put you on the Dr. Bodner support group email list. Just email me with your email address and Ill scoot you in. You are welcome to come to the support meetings.
Jason B.
on 3/27/04 10:15 am
Thanks Jess! No it wasn't me at the office. I don't see the Dr. until April 6. for the first time. By the way, how long is the initial visit with the doctor. I would think it would be long since this is my first time seeing him. I'm actually happy and nervous at the same time anticipating my appointment.
DramaQueenJessica
on 3/27/04 10:33 am - Wayland, MA
I think the first visit is probably around 30 minutes depending on how many questions you have. He will give you a packet with all his information... request that you lose 10% of your body weight NOW. Im 250 and he is requesting a 25lb loss from me. On April 6th you will probably get your appointments for psych consult, ekg, chest xrays, and blood work. Dr. Bodner is an awesome surgeon. The time will fly by, I can assure you of that.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 681 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2251 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4438 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4574 views