Does anyone know Dr. Munshi?? or have MAHealth?? help!!

KATHY C.
on 2/9/04 10:50 pm - SPRINGFIELD, MA
Hello Everyone! My name is Kathy and I'm considering WLS. I'm in the Springfield MA area and was wondering if anyone knows Dr. Munshi? Or would like to help me along through this? Also, I'm nervous about getting accepted from MA Health. I'm 31 y.o., 233 lbs., 5'4", with severe depression. I have chronic knee pain, lower and upper back pain, shortness of breath, chronic fatigue, heartburn, a major snoring problem according to my husband, and skin irritations. Non of which are documented by a Doctor. I have not documented my weight loss attempts either over the years either... (who could... there are so many!) I have my packet coming from Dr. Munshi's office and made an appointment with my pcp. I feel like I'm totally unprepared for these appointments and could use some advice. Does anyone have or know anyone else who has a similar history?? Please email me with anything! I'm a nervous wreak, I know I need the surgery and don't want to blow it ! How long do I have to go before I'm on the other side?? UUUGGGHHhhh! Kathy
DramaQueenJessica
on 2/10/04 6:00 am - Wayland, MA
Hi Kathy, Im Jessica. I was approved with MassHealth. Im a 27 year old mom of 2 young boys, 247lbs (at consult appt 251), and 5 feet tall. I have no co-morbidities as of yet. They approved me as a preventative measure considering my family history of heart disease and diabetes, among other illnesses. Given your list of problems I dont see why they wouldnt approve you. My weight loss attempts were never documented either. I just told my surgeon what I did and how much weight I lost.. usually 30 or so lbs at a time with the starvation method and I cheated with WW.. my mother was a member and I stole her plan book..lol. Instead of going to my PCP I just called his office and requested a referral to my surgeon. Its not recommended to do it that way, but Im lazy and hate going thru the middle man. My consult appt was on August 5th, 2003, I got approved last month and my surgery date is set for March 8th, 04. MassHealth will usually send out a letter of approval or denial within 3 weeks. To me, it was an easy journey to get to where Im at now. The hard part begins after surgery. You came to the right place to look for advice. Read anything and everything you possibly can stand about the surgery. Good luck.
marypoco
on 2/11/04 8:39 am - amherst, MA
HI Kathy, I have Dr. Munshi. I had to go to their nutritionist for 6 months because I didn't have any documented diet proof. and the insurance companies need doctors proof of some form of diet attempts. I'm on my 6th month . My insurance has been approved and I've been going to the support group meetings. Have you gone to them? They are at bay state hospital. call Dr Munshi's office for times. they have them about 5 times a month some at the hospital some in other locations. i.e. berkshire, or greenfield. Also My daughter had this surgery 2 years ago and dr munshi was a wonderful surgeon. She had slight problems and he was right on top of things. He was very good. that's why I choose him. I liked his mannerism, and his professionalism.Very good chose!! Good luck, and perhaps I'll see you at the support meetings. Mary
cotesbabe
on 2/20/04 1:54 am - Agawam, MA
Kathy, Hi i have Dr.Munshi. I havent had my surgery yet but will have on april 12,2004. Feel free to email me to ask any questions...........stephanie Hey we have the same last name! lol
Edith W.
on 2/22/04 12:10 am - Armpit of, VT
See my posts on 8/2 on the Mass state board. I answered this question for another person. I was in Munshi's program for almost a year without results. I found them to be very inefficient and difficult to work with. They also are not experienced working with some insurance plans and not open to imput. I went with Fiallo- Pioneer Valley Surgical- and I have been VERY pleased. Edi
pat M.
on 2/23/04 2:06 pm - west stockbridge, MA
hi Baystate has a long wait I went to the Boston area and it has been 5 months from start to my surgery date of Mar 1st and that was only because the doctor had a baby Good Luck pat
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 681 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2251 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4438 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4574 views