Not sure what to do...

blank first name B.
on 11/28/03 9:31 am
Hi all, I'm from the Cape.. 46.3 BMI, and have always had problems losing weight all my life. I think the only time I actually lost anything was when I was anorecix & bulimic *shudders* don't want to go through that again! I went to see my primary care md, who told me to get my thyroid checked out and then we'll see. But she is very no-no about the surgery. She doesn't know me well, she's only been my md for about a year, and for about 9 months of that I've been pregnant. Just had a baby girl 5 mos. ago. I honestly think that with my weighty history (no pun intended) that I am an excellent candidate for a lap RNY. But the problem is the md. Can I work around her, possibly find someone else who thinks this is a good idea? MassHealth is my insurance; I get married in July and then my insurance will be Blue Cross/Blue Shield PPO, which also covers the surg. Help!
(deactivated member)
on 11/29/03 1:27 am - haverhill, MA
My feeling is that if you are interested in this surgery, you have every right to pursue it. Even if it just to discover that it is not what you want...you should be able to look at this with the support of your primary care doc. As I have said to many of my friends....if your doc isn't willing to consider surgery as a possible solution to your weight issue....then find another doc. You could try calling the office of your chosen WLS surgeon and asking for names of some PCP's that refer to them. That might be a first step. Good Luck
Celines R.
on 11/29/03 11:15 am
I think that your PCP is not well informed but anyway many of the people whom I met in my support group came without a dr. referal. I suggest that you research and find a support group or surgeon and go ahead and do it. I live in Springfield, MA so I don't think things are much different where you live. Call local hospitals and ask about their requirements and good luck to you. By the way Congratulations on your baby!!!
mary G.
on 11/29/03 8:33 pm - dudley, ma
Kimberly and Celines are right. When I first spoke to my pcp about wls about a year and a half ago he said I'd never get approved, and I just accepted that. Then during this past summer I decided I was going to look into it, called the loca hospitals, etc. I then went back to my pcp and talked about it again. He is not pro-surgery. I told him I was going to move forward on this and if he wasn't going to support me and help me through this I would have to find a pcp who would. Once he saw I was determined he agreed to do whatever I needed him to do...and he has been true to his word. I'm glad I didnt' have to change doctors, but I would have if it was necessary. Good luck to you.
Martha K.
on 12/26/03 2:00 pm - Cape Cod, MA
Where are you on the Cape? I am in Harwich and I have a PCP in Hyannis who is very WLS supportive.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 681 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2250 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4437 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4574 views