How can I convince them its OKay!

Lisa M M.
on 11/11/03 11:14 pm - Rochester, MA
Good Morning, I am just getting started on my journey to a size 12 via lap band. I have info coming in from Beth Isreal, Dr D Jones. I've told my mom my best friend and my husband(last). and they are very concerned which just means they love me but I don't want to get scared and discouraged so maybe I should have kept my mouth shut! I won't bore you with the back story...bottom line I'm 5'7" 270lbs with sleep apnea,Hiatal Hernia and excruciating back pain and this new foot thing. Anyone know of websites that may assist me in convicing them that I probably won't die on the table? Thanks in Advance! And to all you post op'ers Congratulation's and I'll see ya at Filene's(in about a year) Thanks Lisa
caj1260
on 11/12/03 8:48 am - Weymouth, MA
Hi Lisa, I'm scheduled for Lap. RNY on December 1st. I just sent the following e-mail to my friends/family, which might help you. "Yes, I've seen the news -- yes, I am apprehensive -- and yes, I'm still going through with it unless my surgeon backs out. But rest assured, I will have plenty of questions for him when we meet on the 19th! It's like if you are taking a plane/train/ship within the next month, would you cancel your plans if you heard about two or three accidents, or would you rationalize it and say, but look at the ones that made it. How many remember the plane that was shot (?) out of the sky over New York about six years ago? I went to Florida within a week of that. And to go way, way back -- was it a Korean jetliner that was shot down by the Russians in 1983? I was in Sydney and was flying home the next day. Enough rambling...anyway, prayers would be greatly appreciated especially for my surgeon on December 1st!" I've been debating whether or address this issue, but I'm so glad you got there before me. Do you have a date planned? I feel as long as you have faith in your surgeon/hospital, all will be fine. Just remember the number of successes as they don't make headlines! And don't forget to those negatives thoughts right out of there. It's your body/life. Carol
Lisa M M.
on 11/16/03 2:53 am - Rochester, MA
Hey Carol, Thanks, that was an excellent response, and you're absolutely right. I am waiting for my first appt to be scheduled but I've been online for weeks getting information. I hope I don't run into all kinds of insurance problems. Pilgrim isn't the best for this type of thing. Congratulations on getting a date and keep in touch with your trials and trib's and all you progress. GOOD LUCK!!!! Lisa
caj1260
on 11/16/03 3:54 am - Weymouth, MA
Lisa, If you meet most of the criteria, Pilgrim shouldn't have a problem. If you do, there are plenty of messages in this website that address that issue, but why waste time/energy now? They'll probably approve you. With my surgery just two weeks away, :angst" I'm nervous, but I know that everyone probably feels this way. It's been almost six months since I approached my PCP about the approval, and I can't believe how quickly time has flown by! Don't get discouraged. I'm reading Carnie Wilson's book, I'm Still Hungry -- it's really pretty good. I like to read as much as I possibly can about this surgery, so I'm informed. Thank you again -- I'll let you know how it goes. By the way, do you happen to have any relatives in Taunton? cj
cgervasi
on 11/17/03 10:31 am - New Bedford, MA
Hi Carol, First let me say that Im so excited for you with your surgery so close! I can totally relate to the barage of phone calls, e-mails and comments from co-workers after the Boston incident a few weeks ago. "youre going to die!" is my favorite comment of all! Thanks for the encouragement guys!!!! Anyway, Im having surgery at B & W's in March and would like to get into some good reading materials about surgery. I noticed that you mentioned Carney Wilsons book in one of your e-mails. Any other good suggestions?? Thanks...Carolyn
caj1260
on 11/20/03 10:38 am - Weymouth, MA
Well, my surgery has been changed -- instead of December 1st, it's this Monday, the 24th! I haven't read anything else, but will keep you posted if I do.
cheryle P.
on 11/20/03 12:18 am - cranston, RI
I am scheduled to have the surgery the middle of Dec. I to am having a hard time trying to convince family and friends that hopefully everything will work out fine! Especially since there was a death on Tues at the hospital where I'm having surgery. My phone hasn't stopped ringing since,everyone saying{ Your not going to do it now , are you?} I am still determined to go thr with it. Well good luck with whatever you decide!!
cheryle P.
on 11/20/03 8:06 am - cranston, RI
well i guess I won't be having the surgery after all in Dec. They have cancelled all of the surgerys at the hospital i was going to. Have to wait now and see what happens
Celines R.
on 11/27/03 11:12 am
Oh Lisa I know how you feel believe me. My family doesn't even talk about the subject anymore. I feel so bad sometimes but I am going to do it anyway without their support if I have to. I am afraid, yes, but what choices do I have? I am not going to be meserable my whole life, no way. I am doing this for ME because I need to take control of my life and more importantly of my health. My surgery is on 01/20/04 and I can't wait to have. I wish you luck and don't forget that you are not alone. Good Luck
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 681 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2250 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4437 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4574 views