Pigging Out Before My Surgery-Somebody Stop Me!

annstan60
on 8/25/03 2:19 pm - Weymouth, MA
Can anyone help me? I am scheduled to have my RNY bypass surgery Sept. 25, 2003 at Brigham & Women's Hospital in Boston - which is great news! However, ever since I got my surgery date, all I want to do is eat, eat, eat - anything and everything - I'm eating a lot of really fattening things - because in the back of my mind I feel like it's now or never! This is not right. I'm afraid that when I go for my pre-op testing next week, they'll give me a hard time because I've gained almost 10 pounds in the past 3 months. Anybody have any suggestions? By the way, I am 43 yrs old, 5' tall, 230 lbs with a BMI of 44. Thank you in advance.
Sherry H.
on 8/26/03 12:31 am - Brockton, MA
Hi AnnMarie...I know what you mean, I'm sure we all do. My surgery is on 8/28 and since 8/4 when I found out I've been consumed with the thought of food. I paced myself. I asked what was I really going to miss, would I ever be able to have it again (in moderation) or was it something that I would literally have to learn to live without. I've allowed myself one special thing a week. I know that gaining weight before the surgery isn't healthy so I've been pacing myself and drinking a lot of water. These are the things I can suggest, it seems to have worked because I haven't gained anything, don't know if I lost anything. Plus, when you are so close to surgery date (like a week or closer) you are so nervous and sick to your stomach and excited.......YOU DON"T WANT TO EAT!!! Beleive it or not!! Hoping for a wonderful speedy recovery for you!
(deactivated member)
on 8/31/03 10:09 pm - haverhill, MA
Hi AnnMarie, I had my surgery with Dr Robinson too. I understand the urge to eat everything under the sun, but be careful. The danger with weight gain before surgery is that you can enlarge your liver and make it difficult for the doc to work around it. Try to get back on a good eating plan. Take some walks and drink alot of water. Best of luck to you. Feel free to email me privately.
Diane C.
on 9/7/03 11:52 am - Barre, MA
AnnMarie, don't worry. I did the same thing. Kept telling myself that I would never be able to eat pasta and rice and chinese food and anything else that was within reach. I too gained weight, only about 6 lbs., but Dr. Kelly did the surgery. My surgery was on 8/11/03. So far so good. I have had a few cravings but they pass quickly and I'm really not hungry with all of the water, creamed and pureed foods and protein drink that I'm ingesting. Don't worry. You'll be fine. I am 52, 5'8" tall and weighed in at 302 with a BMI of 46 (I think). Anyway, it's been four weeks and I have lost 26 lbs. I feel great, only a few little problems. BEST THING I EVERY DID FOR MYSELF. Good luck with your surgery.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 681 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2250 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4437 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4574 views