Beth Israel WLS program

rsassyjackie
on 2/5/12 9:24 am - MA
 I am wondering if anyone is going through the WLS process @ Beth israel WLS program or has recently gone through it. I am in the process and would love to get some first hand patient info.
MrsClaus09
on 2/6/12 8:22 pm
I did! Wouldn't have traded it for the world!  Loved everything about my experience! Feel free to send me a message with any ?s!
My journey:   http://abowlfullofjelly.blogspot.com/ w/ March 2011 Sleevers List
"Sleeve Santa Sleeve!"

HW: 309 ~ PreOpW: 306 ~ SW: 293 ~ CW: 184  
rsassyjackie
on 2/7/12 6:53 am - MA
  So happy to hear that! Who was your doctor? Do u go to any of the support meetings? I go tomorrow to meet with the surgean Dr. Daniel Jones. I am very nervous but yet very happy. I wish that weight loss was something I could have conquered on my own but wasn't and so here I am. How soon from ur meet with the surgean did they schedule ur surgery? I hope it's soon but I can't imagine it happening any sooner than March. What do you think? Thank you for being so helpful by letting me ask you all these questions.
MrsClaus09
on 2/7/12 8:13 am
Happy to answer whatever I can!  Dr. Jones was my surgeon - he was excellent and I was VERY pleased with my choice.  I couldn't imagine having another surgeon although I know they're all great at BIDMC.  Good luck with your meeting!  If you're at the point of meeting with Dr. J, I imagine you've done your nutrition classes, met with Sue and the nurses, etc.  The entire program was excellent. 

I had a bit of delay from the time I met with Dr. J until surgery as my insurance deniel my surgery...so, I had to appeal.  But, all in all, from the time I was approved to surgery date, it was just about a month.  WELL worth the wait in my opinion though!  My surgery stay was also great...all the staff were so helpful and kind.  I really don't have anything bad or critical to say at all.  From start to fini**** was a great experience!  I go back in a month for my one year follow up and I can't wait to see everyone!  I haven't had a chance to get back for any of the support groups but I just may once the weather warms up!  I did, however, go to the preop required meetings...went to even more than I had to because I enjoyed them so much! 

Again, good luck tomorrow...hope you get your surgery date soon!
"Sleeve Santa Sleeve!"

rsassyjackie
on 2/8/12 10:48 am - MA
 Hi Mrs. Clause-- U were right Dr.Jones was very pleasant. I got my surgery date. 2/13/12 pending insurance approval which his secretary feels shouldn't be a problem. Harvard has a 24 hr response! I am very excited but scared and nervous! If you can think of anything I should def. have in hosp or post at home please suggest! Thx
MrsClaus09
on 2/9/12 8:31 pm
WOW!  Congrats on getting your date - and that's a really quick one!!!  YAY for you! 

As for what to have at the hospital or home...I really found that I didn't need much at the hospital.  A robe would be helpful as you will be taking walks in the hallways - and, slippers are good too.  Other than that, they take good care of you!  For home, a bed wedge was very helpful for me with sleeping for the first several weeks.  A pillow (to hold against your stomach on the ride home) was helpful too.

Other than that...a couple cans of broth, instant SF pudding/jello for after surgery...but, don't go too crazy and buy too much as your tastes may change. 

Wishing you all the best - you'll be in great hands, I'm sure!  What surgery are you having?

Best of luck to you!
"Sleeve Santa Sleeve!"

rsassyjackie
on 2/10/12 9:32 am - MA
 Yes, it was quick! Caught me by surprise too. I am having GBS. I am very excited, nervous and scared!--Thanks will keep you posted!
jamiebrain
on 2/19/12 1:33 am - Epping, NH
RNY on 08/14/12
 Hi there,

I'm brandy new and have my very first appointment to meet with a nurse named Elaine at BID on 3/16.  So brandy, BRANDY new.  I've been reading lots of posts though and a gazillion questions come to mind.  Mrs Claus, I'm curious - you said yours was held up because your insurance denied it the first time and you had to appeal.  Do you mind if I ask what insurance you were dealing with and why the denied you the first time?  On paper I meet all the criteria for my insurance company (BCBS) but that's one of my fears.
rsassyjackie
on 2/19/12 3:07 am - MA
 Hi Brandy! Elaine is really nice! She is really knowledgable and gave me many tips to get on my way. My first appt. was Jan.3 and I had my surgery Feb. 13. So for me it went very quickly. Apparently my insurance is very good and gave me no problems. I am glad that I had researched the WLS for about 2 years and had begun taste testing diff. shakes and stuff. So I was ready. It normally doesn't take this quick but sometimes it does. I am happy it worked like this for me bcuz it worked well for me, my work, my family and the dr.s. Everything just fell into place and I new it was meant to be. I am 7 days out and 12 lbs down. Everyday I feel stronger and stronger. So I know things are healing as they should be. If you have any questions feel free to ask. I had so many and sometimes didn't have anyone to answer them right away and felt frustrated. I can not guarantee that I will have the answer but I can try!

jamiebrain
on 2/19/12 8:15 am, edited 2/18/12 8:17 pm - Epping, NH
RNY on 08/14/12
Hey! Hi! Actually it's Jamie, lol. I meant Brandy New like Brand New but using unnecessarily flowery language. :) Sounds like you're doing great!! I've been thinking about it just in my head for ages, and started doing online research back in October or November. Just had a sleep study and got a diagnosis of sleep apnea, paving the way with my insurance company in theory - we shall see. Which surgery did you have - I think it said GBS in your earlier post - gastric bypass?
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 681 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2251 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4437 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4574 views