Lap Band at Tufts Medical Center?

meredit
on 11/3/11 2:58 am
Hi, I am new to the group.  I was wondering if anyone has gone through the lap band procedure at Tufts medical.  I recently have had appointments with them and they seem to really not care for the lap band.  I am trying to determine if this procedure is right for me, and I would love to hear what your expereinces were like.  Thanks : ) 
sadieharley
on 11/8/11 2:23 am

Having had surgery at Tufts I can say that they know their stuff!!  I wanted the band and given my eating issues and BMI my surgeon guided me to the bypass.  I don't regret it as I've lost 110 lbs and have spoken to other band patients who have difficulty losing a lot of weight.  I honestly left the decision in their hands knowing that it's their speciality.  Maybe you should talk to the surgeon (again) about your concerns.  The team is great.

C J
on 11/10/11 8:23 am - Franklin, MA
I revised from LapBand to Gastric Bypass back in January with the Tufts group (Dr. Shah).  You're absoultely right in recognizing that they don't care for the lap band but of course they will do the procedure if you choose.  They are ALL top notch in my opinion!!

It's your body- your decision but DO YOUR RESEARCH!! 
Valerieb09
on 11/10/11 8:49 am - Seacoast, NH

They don't seem to care because this is the worst and LEAST successful of the four weight loss surgeries available. 
I am a revision from a lapband to a gastric bypass.  I can only tell you that I lived a nightmare of two years enduring vomiting, sliming, stuck food, etc with my band.  The band ended up giving me acid reflux.  By the way I couldn't eat any meat with the band, vegetables, salad, etc.  I lost 35 lbs. initially then regained all that and lived on pudding, cottage cheese, ice cream, milkshakes, etc. 
I suggest you go to the Failed Lapband Message Board on here and do more research before you make a final decision.

Valerie

Revision June 9, 2008
Lapband to RNY
117 lbs. lost as of 09-08-10
Dr. David B. Lautz~~~~~Simply the Best!
Brigham & Women's Hospital

Boston, Massachusetts

meredit
on 11/10/11 8:56 am
 Thank you everyone for your responses.  I met with my surgeon today, Dr. Kim, and she explained all three procedures that she performs.  I never thought of the gastric sleeve as an option because my insurance doesn't cover it, but it sounds like it maybe a better option than the lap band.  
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 681 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2251 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4437 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4574 views