New in town..... looking for advice

Chipples5
on 10/8/11 4:21 am
Hello there!

I am new to the site. I have been trying to do as much research as possible because I want to have gastric bypass surgery. I am 29 years old and I am determined to be in better health before my 30th birthday next September. I am 5'2" and weigh a whopping 275lbs. My bones and joints hurt and I feel like if something doesn't change I am going to die. I have been doing Weigh****chers on and off for two years and I go to the gym 3 times a week. However, I only walk on the treadmill and that alone kills me. In the two years though I have managed to take off 57lbs. I work 3 jobs and have little free time. I clearly need a lifestyle change.

I currently do NOT have health insurance. I do however qualify through the Mass Health Connector for plans. I just don't know which one to sign up for now. I'm looking for advice on health plans. What health plans do people here have that have had luck with approval for the surgery? Can anyone tell me about their experiences? Also, which doctors do you recommend? I used to see a PCP out of Newton-Wellesley when I did have health insurance back in 2009 and I was thinking about seeking out a surgeon there but these days the best care could be elsewhere. I have a week to choose my plan and I will be calling them to get more information but it sometimes really helps to talk to real people who have been through it already.

All of your stories that I have read are extremely inspiring so I have joined to get more one on one advice!

Thanks
Sue M.
on 10/8/11 7:19 am - Nantucket, MA
I'm sorry I don't anything about the health plan stuff - I have mine through my job.

I did get my surgery through Newton Wellesley though, and was (and continue to be) THRILLED with the care.  The office staff, the surgeons, the nurses on the surgical floor post-op were all awesome.

Good luck!
Read my blog, BARIATHLETE   I run because I can.

First 5K race October 4, 2009   (34.59)  PR 5/22/11 (27:26)
First 5 Mile: January 1, 2011 (50:30)
First 10K: July 4, 2010 (1:03.26) New PR 4/10/11 (1:01.14)
First 10 Mile: April 11, 2010  (1:46.15)
First 1/2 marathon: June 13, 2010 (2:22.21)  PR: 5/1/11 (2:17.30)
First Marathon: October 16, 2011: 5:47:20

Goofy Challenge: January 7-8, 2012
If you think you can, you can.  If you think you can't, you're right. - Mary Kay Ash
(deactivated member)
on 10/14/11 11:12 am - Boston, MA
 I have commonwealth care, the plan I have it network Health.  I went to Beth Israel for my surgery they charge a $500 fee that is not covered by insurance.  I paid $22 co pays for my visits pre and post op and I paid $250 for my hospital stay copay.  Thats it!  I love BI I love my surgeon and it's the best thing I ever did for myself.  Also I was approved in a week with network health.  Good luck if you have any questions pm me as I always forget to check this message board since it's so slow.
Chipples5
on 10/20/11 12:23 am, edited 10/20/11 2:27 am
I did find out that I either qualify for commonwealth care or MassHealth. My friends keep telling me to pick "Neighborhood" for the plan. I keep going back and forth between all of them. I don't know what to pick. I know that Neighborhood has a lot of steps that you have to go through first. I thought that depended on the doctor but I guess not. My boss offered me BCBS but it is a deductible plan with $1,000 deductible. If I have to pick a PCP again I would go with my old Dr. who is out of Newton Wellesley. She accepts Neighborhood and BCBS but I will have to find out about the others. I heard that Boston Hospital and Brigham have the best bariatric surgery program. I thought it would be better to get the opinions from you, the people that have actually been through it.
Chipples5
on 1/13/12 6:30 am
Yay! So I qualify and was approved for Commonwealth Care. I just have to pick a plan now. Anyone out there have Boston Medical Center Health Plan, CeltiCare Health Plan, Fallon Community Health Plan, Neighborhood Health or Network Health that can share their experiences with me? How long did it take to become approved? What steps did you have to take before surgery? What hospital and/or doctor do you recommend? I have to choose by next week and any help is so greatly appreciated!!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 681 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2251 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4437 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4574 views