FYI PETERSEN'S HERNIA

Dave_K
on 8/31/11 4:00 pm - 5 miles West of Boston, MA
What is it? It could kill you!!

I have a horror story for you.

I was having abdominal pain about 4 years after surgery and I actually had intestinal malrotation caused by a Petersen's hernia where weight loss causes extra space in the abdomen. The small intestine wrapped around the large intestine and strangled the large intestine. I was about 2 hours from death when I had emergency bowel resection surgery losing 20 cm of small intestine and additional weight loss to 30 pounds BELOW my goal weight. I have recovered somewhat but my nutrition is all messed up. Apparently there is a fairly common problem with Petersen's hernias that I never imagined I'd have to deal with.

Get an MRI or a scan of your abdomen if pain persists at all but be aware the Petersen's hernias are usually not seen in an MRI or a scan. Mention your WLS to your doctor and mention a possible Petersen's hernia. I thought my pain would magically go away after a few days but it didn't and waiting almost killed me.

I wish I knew about Petersen's hernias when the pain first started that's why I'm posting here to raise awareness of this complication.

Good luck & God Bless!!

Dave
317/165

Maryellen R.
on 9/2/11 4:18 am - Sayville, NY
I know of several people who have also had a Persen's hernia.  It is SO important for all to know the possibilities and more importantly to seek treatment.  Thanks for sharing!
Maryellen
To visit LIPO (Long Island Post Ops) bariatric support group website click here: www.liponation.org

"WLS is a journey, not a destination (don't get comfortable) ... it's a road that we must travel daily to succeed".  Faith Thomas

visit my blog at theessenceofmaryellen.com/

M M
on 9/2/11 9:51 am
 May I ask how long you had symptoms -- and what they were?

(I ask because I have had undiagnosed gut pain for a very very long time... and I had exploratory surgery -- thought a Petersen's Hernia WAS the cause... it wasn't found. Still in pain.)
Dave_K
on 9/3/11 6:18 am - 5 miles West of Boston, MA
Hi m m!

I had on again off again localized back and abdominal pain for about three days, then continual localized pain for about a day. I also was nauseous and tired, running a slight fever.

I hope this helps!

Dave
318/165

Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 681 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2251 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4437 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs