time frame from first class to surgery?

blondiemom
on 8/17/11 7:47 am - MA
 Hello,

I'm a new member of these boards, and also looking into gastric bypass surgery. I am just starting my journey, and I have signed up for the class you have to take first on 8/24. I was wondering, if all goes well, what is the turn around time, from class to surgery. I know everyone is going to be different, so I'm just looking for an average. I'm hoping  to have it done by thanksgiving at the latest but I was wondering if thats going to be out of reach.

Thanks for your replies!!
bdisaia
on 8/18/11 9:39 pm - MA
Hi 
I m having my surgery on sept 12th. I  went to my first seminar in february . The insurance companies have changed a lot of requirements ,so it depends on those things. Most people take 4  months, there is a 3 month medically supervised diet  for bcbs. All the testing takes about  a month . They say if u are private pay its really quick. Good Luck!!
MrsClaus09
on 8/18/11 9:47 pm
I think this depends on a few different things....the hospital you decide to have surgery at and their program as long as your insurance company and whether or not you run into insurance coverage issues and/or if they have and requirements for WLS.  For me, it took awhile for the simple reason that I wanted no surgery but the VSG.  Being that my ins company didn't cover it, I had to appeal - twice.  So, for me, things took a bit longer at 16-17 months.

You've already taken the first step in signing up for a class...be sure to check with your insurance company too! GL!

Welcome to the boards! :)
My journey:   http://abowlfullofjelly.blogspot.com/ w/ March 2011 Sleevers List
"Sleeve Santa Sleeve!"

HW: 309 ~ PreOpW: 306 ~ SW: 293 ~ CW: 184  
C J
on 8/19/11 1:38 pm - Franklin, MA
I didn't have to take a "class" but I did attend an info seminar the end of August 2010 - had the required appointments september/october was offered a surgery date of November/December but I had to wait until January because of work... so four/five months.

Make sure you're up-front with your surgeon of choice - they should be able to give you this time frame based on their norm.

Best of luck to you...  best decision I ever made!
I've been declared a slow loser - and couldn't be happier!!
 I  can,  I  will.  

blondiemom
on 8/24/11 3:17 am - MA
 Thank you everyone for relpying. 
The "class" is more of a seminar (I think) I will know more tonight after I go.
I have BCBS so that's good to know about the medically supervised diet!

Thanks again!!
AMYLIZ527
on 8/27/11 12:02 am - Sterling, MA
I have BCBS and didn't have to have a medicaly sup.diet do my guess is that like most things with insurance, each policy is different.  I had my first apt Jan 4th and could have had surgery in March but my husband and I waited until May for logistic reasons. What hospital are you going to? I went with Newton Wellsley- they have a great one! 
Good luck on your journey! 
blondiemom
on 8/27/11 6:20 am - MA
 Im going with Dr Kruger, who is out of Tobey Hospital in Wareham.

The class was more of a "learn about the process from the doctor". He was great! I've already sceduled my first appointment with him and my first appoingment with a nutritionist!

Let the journey begin!!!!!!
Marygerl
on 9/5/11 11:24 am - Woburn, MA
roughly 6 months for me. Informational session on Dec 6, 1st appt with surgeon on Jan 5, surgery on May 9. I probably could have had it sooner but my surgeon was away for 2 weeks. I didn't mind as I needed to save more time up for leave.

Good luck with your journey.

Vicki339
on 9/11/11 11:11 am - rockland, MA
I am going to have mine at Boston Medical Center and it has taken about 8 months I am one appointment away from submitting to my insurance company.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 681 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2251 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4437 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4574 views