Gastric Bypass with Psych Meds?

LadyLazarus
on 6/18/11 5:02 am - Acton, MA
So I was accepted into the surgical weight loss program at Emerson Hospital in Concord as a candidate for the Lap-Band. I was told very firmly that RNY/bypass surgery was not an option for me, as I take psych meds and they might not be absorbed correctly. However, in a support community on another website, several people told me that they have had RNY while taking psych meds and that I should seek a second opinion, as I would prefer RNY or sleeve gastrectomy to the Lap-Band.

Has anyone here had RNY or sleeve gastrectomy while taking psych meds? If so, which program did you go to/who was your surgeon? I want to get a second opinion but it'd help if I knew which surgeons/programs would be most likely to help me out.

Thanks very much! :)
shelto1946
on 6/21/11 7:58 am
Dear Lady,

Congratulations on starting  your journey!  I had RnY in 10/2008 and was taking and continue to take Lexapro and cytomel[liothyronine, which has been found to augment the effect of the SSRI med in some people who have only partial response in symptom alleviation].  Never had any comments from my surgeon.  Had procedure at Faulkner Hospital's Center for Bariatric Excellence.  They have a good program.  So does Brigham and Women's.  I agree that you should get a second opinion. 

I had type 2 diabetes, and my diabetes endocrinologist was the one who told me that the Roux en Y was the better procedure for me, which is why I went that way.  It is true that malabsorption can occur, and for me that may be causing me to have low Vitamin D, so I have to take more than the usual amount to get enough.  Everyone is different, though, so you and your health care providers must evaluate your individual status. 

Good luck!

Judy G from Waltham
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 681 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2251 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4438 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4574 views