Read Your Mail ...... It Could Be Important !!

Mary Gee
on 6/12/11 10:29 pm

I hate opening mail -- 99 out of a 100 times it's a bill or some other bad news.  

Last .week I got mail from Network Health -- good news and bad news.  Monthly premium went down from $56.88 to $39.00 - the good news.  Now the bad news -- Hospital coverages have changed.  St. Vincent Hospital a/k/a Med City Worcester is no longer affiliated with Network Health.  Thank goodness I chose UMass Medical Center for my surgery.  But it just makes me realize it's important to keep up to date on my mail.  (The other bad news mail I received was from the IRS - I owe money !  I had contacted a credit card company last year and had an outsanding bill reduced from about $6,000 to $2,000.  Unfortunately, the $4,000 they "wrote off" is considered income.  So I have to call the IRS about the payment they say I owe - don't know how I'll manage paying - I'm on Social Security Disability now and my yearly income has dropped about $35,000 a year. 

Have a good day everyone!

Mary

Mara C.
on 6/13/11 7:00 am - Millbury, MA
At one point we owed the IRS 15K and when I tried to make payment arrangements with them, they were not accommodating at all, and told me I SHOULD be able to pay X amount each month.  I literally cried b/c there was NO WAY that I could.  I called a tax atty, and he said I didn't owe enough to use his help but he would give me a piece of advice... and it worked so I will pass it on to you...

He said if you owe under 25K, they HAVE to allow you to pay it off over (I think it was 5 years), so if the amount they tell you they need from you each month is more than you can afford.  Tell them, you can only pay X (figure it out before you call them), if they refuse tell them you need to be placed with a "case manager", it is someone who will work directly on your account.  This worked for us and we paid it all back, but it took some money off each month that helped make it doable for us.  Good luck, it is the worst feeling to owe them, I know!
              LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat      RNY Maintenance

"Create your day"
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 681 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2251 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4438 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4574 views