Popping in to say hello!

sunjoymom
on 5/30/11 2:47 pm - Worcester, MA

Haven't been on OH as often as I'd like to be, but I was so busy with work and family. Now I have more free time, as I got laid off from my job. I look at it as a good thing...lol.

I just turned 8 months postop! I'm down a total of 138lbs from my highest weight and down 119lbs since surgery. Losing weight slower and slower, but that's ok. I'm not obese anymore..lol. Just switched over to "overweight".

Looking forward to getting to know all the newbies I've noticed here! 

~ Tania 

Highest 324 / Surgery 305 /Goal 165 / Current 172 

Kelly S.
on 6/6/11 10:31 pm - MA
 Tania ~

Congratulations on your weight loss!! 138 lbs is quite an achievement!!  I'm excited when I think that in 8 months time I might have lost something near that number.  It's astounding!! Sorry to hear about your job, but it sounds like you have a healthy attitude about it and I'll hope that something new comes along soon!

With your success, do you have any tips for a newbie?  I'm almost 3 wks post op, on stage 4 and feeling AMAZING. If not for the almost healed incisions, you wouldn't know I had surgery.  However, the scale has not moved one little bit in a week.  I was down 15.5 from DOS to my two wk follow up. Not one pound since then.  I don't know what's going on!!!!! A friend wondered if I wasn't eating enough, and that could be part of it.  Some days, esp if I do ready-made protein shakes (with only 110 cals), I find that I am hovering around 700 cals per day.  I'm meeting my protein and fluid goals.

However, when I had my two week follow up, it was with a resident (who even said out loud he didn't know "how to do post op appts") and he said no exercise beyond walking.  I just don't think that's cutting it. On top of a) being boring and b) I am a stay at home mom - where I go, she goes, so if I'm walking, I'm pushing a stroller with a 50 lb kid in it.

I'm thinking I should reach out to the dietician and see if she has any suggestions.  What are your thoughts?

Thanks!
Kelly

sunjoymom
on 6/7/11 6:35 am - Worcester, MA
Hi Kelly!

Thanks! Yes I look at my being at home now as a good thing, a chance to focus more on exercising and spending time with my family. I hope to find a job soon though!

You WILL run into stalls. I had quite a few of them. I'm actually having one right now! Been at the same weight for about 2 weeks. I know the weight loss will slow down eventually and I have to put more effort into it (working out, more protein, etc). I lost a good amount the first 2 months - 50lbs to be exact! I was required to be on liquids for 3 weeks straight after surgery. That was a major factor. Then week 4 I went onto soft foods and week 5 onto foods with more texture. By week 6 I was eating normal food.

Yes, not eating enough protein or drinking water will result in slower weight loss. My nutritionist has mentioned this. To date, I've been doing lots of walking, biking and jogging. Can't afford to join a gym but would love to down the road. I still haven't found a protein shake or powder that I can down without gagging. I try my best to meet my protein goal daily by food intake. Some days it's easy, some days it's not. I don't ever feel hungry so I have to always keep an eye on the clock to eat! 

When in doubt, just talk to your nutritionist for suggestions. I always reach out to mine via email and she's excellent about getting back to me. Good luck on your journey! You're doing great thus far!

~ Tania 

Highest 324 / Surgery 305 /Goal 165 / Current 172 

Jojeki
on 6/21/11 1:23 pm - Fall River, MA
First of all, awesome job in the weight loss!  Even in the first few weeks post op that is still good.

Stalls are normal.  I am currently just over 9 months out and I have stalls all the time.  Usually I find that if I concentrate on protein (which I do not get enough in) and I exercise  that it helps get over the stalls.  Even at that I may lose 2-3 lbs and then stall again for a few weeks. 

I did find that in the beginning that if I did not get "enough" calories in that my body would store it as opposed to burning it.  You need to find your "sweet spot" as I call it to see where you stall and where you burn and stay at those calories.  Once my doc approved me for exercise and I was up to it I started doing Zumba again.  I credit that hour workout with my slimming wardrobe now.  The surgery is a tool but we have to know how to use it.

Be sure to get your fluids in too.

Best of luck with your continued loss, you'll be dropping more pounds before you know it.
HW: 271.5  SW: 246  CW: 172.8  GW: 145

Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 681 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2251 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4438 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4574 views