I'm new and wanted to say "hi"!

Kelly S.
on 5/23/11 11:56 am - MA
 Hi everyone!

Had my lap RNY on 5/18.  Home from the hospital on the 20th.  I've been trying to take it easy, but feel like I have a new full time job  ~ consuming fluids and protein ;)

So far, everything is great.  Some minor physical inconveniences (phlebitis, soreness, inability to sleep at night), but overall, I'm feeling well and optimistic about what the coming weeks with bring.

Nice to (virtually) meet you and I'm looking forward to your support (and offering my own) during this journey.

Kelly
MM_Boston
on 5/23/11 9:48 pm
Welcome, Kelly!

(deactivated member)
on 5/24/11 1:31 am - Boston, MA
 Hi Kelly, welcome to the board.. hope you have an easy recovery!
RedSox15
on 5/24/11 9:34 am - MA
Hi Kelly!

Shikora is the man !! :)

Welcome
*Kate*
 HW: 286 SW: 253 CW: 167 GW: 150 

Kelly S.
on 5/24/11 11:42 am - MA
 Thank you for the warm welcome, Ladies!

And Shikora rocks! I wasn't sure about him at first, and tried to just be comforted by his credentials, but he won me over ;)

As a newbie, I have a question...how do I get a ticker? Would love to track my progress that way.  Appreciate the direction!

Kelly
(deactivated member)
on 5/25/11 4:31 am - Boston, MA
 go up to the tool bar that says MY OH and there is a health ticker button in there you change your weight there then hit the create ticker button
MommyosaRose
on 5/26/11 2:53 am, edited 5/26/11 2:53 am
Hi Kelly!

At first I chose Dr. Shikora for his credentials as well and soon after speaking with him for the first time found out his bedside manners are just as impressive as his credentials. He is a phenomenal doctor! 

You're in good hands!

Welcome! 

~Starting Weight: 261 lbs~~Pre-Op Weight: 241 lbs~
~Current Weight: 155 lbs~

"Just when the Caterpillar thought her life was over, She began to fly..." 

Jojeki
on 5/27/11 2:01 pm - Fall River, MA
Best of luck with your recovery.  Ask us anything.
HW: 271.5  SW: 246  CW: 172.8  GW: 145

Kelly S.
on 5/27/11 10:22 pm - MA
 Thank you!

I really have been struggling with the Stage 3 options!  I could NOT be more sick of cottage cheese, yogurt, etc.  I was never a big dairy person before, so it's making me nuts.  And I feel like my options are all on the sweet side? I just want FLAVOR.  Something that I can chew would be awesome.  

Here's what I have been eating: cottage cheese, greek yogurt, jello, protein shakes, scrambled egg, cream of chicken soup, CIB and I also tried a popsicle (Edys fruit, NSA).  Is there anything else?

I have my 2 wk follow up on Wed and see the dietician afterward.  I will beg her to advance me to Stage 4!!  

Also, randomly, I may have to call the MD over the weekend (I'm sure it will be impossible to reach anyone over the long weekend and I don't think this warrants and ER visit).  Last night I noticed that one of my incisions (belly button) is leaking/weeping/draining, something.  It doesn't hurt, it's not swollen, what's coming out isn't smelly or anything. I took my temp and I don't have a fever.  It's similar to what was happening with the other sites immediately post surgery.  But I'm 10 days out.  I don't know if this is normal or not?  I put a bandaid over it last night and this morning, it seems better.  But I don't know why it was doing it in the first place.  I haven't done anything strenuous, and again, nothing hurts. In fact I'm feeling pretty great.

Did you guys experience anything like this?  Am I overreacting?

Thanks ;)
Kelly

MM_Boston
on 5/29/11 12:50 am
It doesn't sound like you've yet been cleared for food you have to chew, but some options on the savory side are:

- ff ricotta mixed and tomato sauce (sort of like stuffed shells, but no shell)
- refried beans
- chicken broth
- tomato soup
- peanut butter (smooth, not chunky and make sure the only ingredients are peanuts and salt)

You can also use spices to add flavor to your cottage cheese, ricotta cheese, refried beans, etc. You'll be over this phase before you know it!!

I didn't have any drainage, but you should probably make a call to you doc just in case. Better safe than sorry!

Good luck!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 681 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2251 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4438 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4574 views