UMass/Memorial and St.Vincent Med City

Mary Gee
on 4/20/11 9:50 am
Hi folks -- I'm new here, and just starting my journey -- I live near Worcester and can go to either UMass/Memorial or St. Vincent/Med City.  Are there any differences between the two?  I know I have to go to Informational Meeting for both, and see surgeon -- but what else is involved re medical testing, counseling, meetings, etc.  Timetable? 

Also, I have Commonwealth Care/Network Health/Forward - as I am on Social Security Disability due to my weight complications (many) -- what does the health insurer require?

Thanks for any info you can give me.  I've wanted to have WLS for long time, but my employer had a specific exclusion on their health insurance, so I had to wait to get on SS disability!!

Still learning.  Currently in pre-op stage.

MrsClaus09
on 4/20/11 11:42 am

Sorry, I don't have any insurance info for you but wanted to respond because I did attend the info sessions at both Umass and St. V's.  Out of the two, I would choose Umass - I didn't care for the program at St. V's and found that some of the individuals (medical professionals) in their program were misinformed about some aspects of bariatric surgeries.  I will say, though, that was 2-3 years ago - so, perhaps they've brushed up on their program. In the end, neither of them did the VSG and that's why I went elsewhere...well, they said they could "give it a shot" but I wasn't up for that and wanted a surgeon with a bit more experience. :)

Good luck to you!!!

My journey:   http://abowlfullofjelly.blogspot.com/ w/ March 2011 Sleevers List
"Sleeve Santa Sleeve!"

HW: 309 ~ PreOpW: 306 ~ SW: 293 ~ CW: 184  
Mary Gee
on 4/20/11 1:59 pm

Thanks for your quick response.  I'm scheduled for Umass orientation next week.  I have so much to learn about this surgery -- seems like there are more types of procedures now!

I've also got to learn the ins and outs of posting -- profiles, ticklers, etc. 

Mary

jthomp7889
on 4/23/11 3:58 am - Shrewsbury, MA
 I went to the Umass meeting which was good. It was really focused around the band and RNY. I am self pay so Umass was not a option so I'm going to NC 2 weeks from tomorrow to  be sleeved. My brother in law is going to Umass for the RNY and a friend was banded there and very happy!

Jeff
MrsClaus09
on 4/23/11 7:06 am
Wow...only 2 weeks left, Jeff!  You must be getting excited.  I'll be honest, week 2-3.5 were not the best for me (stalls, some incision pain from sutures that wouldn't heel) but now, all is GOOD!!  I really need to update my blog!
 I'll be hoping the next two weeks go by quickly!
My journey:   http://abowlfullofjelly.blogspot.com/ w/ March 2011 Sleevers List
"Sleeve Santa Sleeve!"

HW: 309 ~ PreOpW: 306 ~ SW: 293 ~ CW: 184  
jthomp7889
on 4/23/11 11:30 am - Shrewsbury, MA
 Thanks.... I am most worried about nausea and mourning food but there is no turning back now!
Mary Gee
on 4/25/11 4:18 am
Thanks for the info Jeff.  Good luck on your surgery.  I was very frustrated because when I was working full-time I had good health insurance but my employer took an exclusion for WLS for lower premiums so I couldn't move forward.  But I developed health issues due to my weight and now I'm on Social Secuity Disability.  My Commonwealth Care Forward coverage (which I have to pay for) does cover the surgery, so I'm finally able to move ahead.

I look forward to seeing your post-op posts!

Mary

Mara C.
on 4/26/11 5:36 am, edited 4/26/11 5:36 am - Millbury, MA
I had my surgery at UMASS, it was about 9 months from the time I went to the orientation till I had surgery (which I was told was average).  Even though it felt like a very long time, it gives you time to educate yourself, prepare mentally, and physically for it.  In the long run I was very happy with that.  I was happy with the whole experience there.  Good luck to you!!!
              LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat      RNY Maintenance

"Create your day"
krissaleigh
on 5/2/11 3:59 am
I had my surgery done at UMass. I was happy with everyone there. They are really great! It took me 7 months from beginning to surgery. I am now 8 weeks out today!!! Dr. Czerniach is awesome and his Nurse Practitioner is awesome too!!! 
sunjoymom
on 5/30/11 1:54 pm - Worcester, MA
Hi there! I had my surgery at UMass and I'm very pleased with the whole experience. I went to my first orientation meeting in March 2010, had my first appt with the medical director Dr Gitkind in April 2010. After doing the whole program, my surgery was in September 2010. Six months! Good luck on your journey!
~ Tania 

Highest 324 / Surgery 305 /Goal 165 / Current 172 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 681 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2251 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4438 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4574 views