Surgery Question

Kellannb
on 4/10/11 4:48 am - MA
My husbands surgery is next Monday, the 18th.  I am pretty anxious over the whole thing.  How long is the actual surgery?  We have to be at the hospital at 6:30a.  The stinky part is that our daughter will be with us.  She's just a baby but I am anticipating that causing some added stress.
Just Brooke
on 4/10/11 9:26 pm
It's like 3 1/2 hours long ...plus another couple of hours after that in recovery before you can see him.

C J
on 4/11/11 7:19 am - Franklin, MA
Is he still working with Dr.Shah at Tufts??
When I had my surgery the end of January - she was REALLY starting to show,  guessing by now she's got quite the baby-belly going on !!!

With a 6:30AM arrival time there shouldn't be any delay (mine was 1:00 ended up being like 4:00!!  My fiance and I were in the surgical holding area (me in my johnny on the stretcher and him in the uncomfy chair for hours!)  patients being wheeled in an out... I had my relaxing IV ****tail so it didn't really bother me.   He got a call (direct from Dr.Shah at like 6:30ish saying I was in recover) So about 2-3hours max.

In my opinion they're pretty organized... when he checks in, they'll give you an ID# which you can use to indentify what stage of the game he's at... PreOp/Op/Recovery -- they have monitors around the hospital and there's a special "surgical waiting area" for you and your babygirl. 

Are you bringing her due to lack of a sitter? If so I'd be totally happy to volunteer to meet you guys at the hospital and hang out with her while your holding his hand as they're prepping him even if it's for like an hour or a half a day...  The only other down-fall about Tufts (which I hear occurs at MANY facilities) is that once you're out of surgery, you don't always get a room right away :-(  I layed in recovery until early the next morning - and was VERY p.o.'d about it --- he may be in luck since he's #1 on the roster!

You guys must be getting so excited!!!!  
Kellannb
on 4/13/11 11:13 am - MA
Sorry for the delay in my reply.  Yes, Dr Shah is doing it.  He had all of his pre op appts today and he said it went well.  Thank you so much for your offer to watch our daughter.  I was able to figure out a solution...kind of.  She'll be with us in the am and then I am going to drive her back and she'll stay with my IL's and I am hoping to be back at the hospital before he is out of surgery.  I really appreciate your offer. 
What time were you discharged?  I can't get out of work too ealy on Wed so I was planning on getting there around 2:30.  Today he was told he'd be out of there by noon...is that accurate???
What else do I need to know?  I like to have my ducks in a row and I feel like they aren't....
C J
on 4/13/11 12:27 pm - Franklin, MA
Sounds like it'll work out fine... there's really not much you could do sitting at the hospital other than wait for a phone call that he's in recovery. 

I think discharge is at like 10 or 11AM but my b/friend worked until 3:00 that day and picked me up after work (like 4ish) they WILL NOT kick him out of his room!!!  Don't bring much cuz they have everything he'll need!!   I brought my ipod/cell phone and charger cuz it's $15 a day for their phone and $15 a day for tv service!      They have WiFi in all the rooms too so if I wasn't sleeping or walking around I was surfing (using my phone) . I got the TV service but was a waste since I was walking around or sleeping most of the time.   Believe it or not surgery/recovery is a breeze and pain free cuz they'll give him medication!!   He'll be just fine!!!!   The hardest part for me was sipping which seemed impossible!!!   Advice to you.... be patient with him and encourage him to get up and walk around once he's in his room!     

Best of EVERYTHING to your hubby and your rejuvenated family!!!!  This is gonna be an amazing journey for all of ya!!!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 681 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2251 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4438 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4574 views