BCBS of MA (PPO) Requirements

Amy F.
on 2/19/11 4:24 am - MA
Hi everyone,

I unfortunately just lost my job and am completing my six months of pre-op classes in March.  We're thinking of switching our insurance, but b/c I'm at the six month of my classes I want to make sure BCBS MA PPO will cover the surgery.  I have Aetna now and can go on COBRA but it will be very expensive.

So do other BCBS people have to complete the six months pre-op?  Do you think all of these classes I've been taking will count toward it if I switch?  I feel like it should considering I haven't submitted anything to the insureance company yet.

Argh, what a disaster...

lisa2010
on 2/19/11 5:46 pm - MA
I'm on BCBS MA, but the HMO plan.  My doctors said that it's one of the easiest insurance companies to deal with.  I had NO required 6 month waiting period (although, it ended up being 5 mo from the time of my first appointment until my surgery, as I was slow to lose the weight my surgeon required pre-op).  They didn't require documentation of attempts to lose weight.  The whole process was very easy; I was approved by insurance almost immediately,

I would call them, just to be sure the PPO isn't different and that nothing's changed (I got my approval in 2010, and I know some plans changed although mine did not).  But I would definitely jump at the chance to switch to BCBS in general... I've had several insurance companies over the years, and I personally think this one is the best.
Starting Weight: 277.5, Pre-op Weight: 259.3, Current Weight: 176.8

RedSox15
on 2/20/11 2:49 am - MA
I had BCBS HMO. It is by far one of the easiest insurance companies to deal with. They rarely deny a claim. They have absolutely no requirements as far as pre-op classes. The only requirements I had were either 1.) BMI higher than 35. Or 2.) BMI lower but also have co-morbidies.

You should be A-Ok Best of luck !!
*Kate*
 HW: 286 SW: 253 CW: 167 GW: 150 

C J
on 2/20/11 10:56 am - Franklin, MA
I've got BCBS HMO Blue New England. No requirements otherthan your doc needs to deem surgery "medically necessary"! I was approved for a lapband in 07 then RNY in 2010! I've never seen a bill!! Just follow the Brigham requirements and you'll be good to go!
Amy F.
on 2/22/11 9:13 pm - MA
You guys are great!  Yes, I found out that my COBRA payments for that other insurance I was on was literally the same as my mortgage payment, so I'll be switching to BCBS through my husband's work. 
Thank you guys so much for getting back to me!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 681 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2251 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4438 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4574 views