Bariatric therapists???

hisgirlfriday77
on 2/16/11 5:50 am - Lynn, MA
I'm a little over a year post-op. I have lost 101lbs so far and while I certainly don't want to go back to my old self, my new self is having a difficult time.
I have moved back to the North Shore after living in the Berkshires for 8 years. While I didn't attend many support groups out there, I could talk to my RN if I needed to. Now that Ive moved back home, I have no idea where to go for help. I found a psychiatrist/RN who deals specifically with bariatric patients but she doesn't accept Blue Cross so I have to pay her $125 per visit. Needless to say, this can only happen once a month.
I saw that there is a OH Support group in Beverly once a month but Ive never been good in group support settings. Does anyone know of other bariatric therapists on the North Shore? Or a program at a hospital or something? Anything?

"Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly." -Anon.

HW 288/CW 187/GW 140

RedSox15
on 2/16/11 9:32 am - MA
Hi there I'm on the So. Shore so unfortunately I won't be able to help ... but I just wanted to stop by and say hello!! I hope you're able to find a great Dr. !!
*Kate*
 HW: 286 SW: 253 CW: 167 GW: 150 

DwindlingFlower
on 2/16/11 10:02 pm - Quincy, MA
Hi there,

I can tell you that pretty much every bariatric surgical program that I know of has a resident psychologist or psychiatrist on staff. I know at St.Elizabeths where I went and at Tufts you can make appointments with them on a regular basis if need be. If their location isn't convenient for you, try asking them for a referral for someone closer to you. Hope this helps!

DwindlingFlower

Coreen13
on 2/17/11 1:52 am - MA
Hi,

Congratulations on your loss!  These might not be close enough but I've met both of these peole and liked them.

This woman specializes in bariatric patients and actually had gastric bypass herself years ago.  I have blue cross also and it was covered.
Gony Halevi
10 Cedar Street, suite 34
Woburn, MA
617-875-5094

This woman also specializes in Bariatric patients. Not sure on the insurance.  She does have a monthly support group meeting that I don't think my insurance covers.
Diane Grimaldi
Gloucester, MA/Belmont, MA
617-489-7354

Or you could call the hospital in your area and talk to the staff of the bariatric surgeons and I'm sure they could recommend some.

Coreen

hisgirlfriday77
on 2/17/11 5:27 am - Lynn, MA
Coreen,

Thanks for the info. Diane is who Im seeing now and have to pay out of pocket. I will definitely give Gony a call. Im in Rockport for the winter... Woburn is a bit of a hike. But it's worth it.

Katie
"Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly." -Anon.

HW 288/CW 187/GW 140

M M
on 2/17/11 5:01 am
 There is a huge demand for bariatric-specific therapists -- here and everywhere. 
Penny V.
on 2/17/11 5:33 am - Orleans, MA
I fond my therapist who specializes in eating disorders through my dietician that I have been seeing for almost 4 years now. Are you seeing a dietician? This would be a good source.

I find it is well worth the trip to travel for a support group. I live on Cape Cod (Orleans) and travel to Boston twice a month for groups (when I can). It entails leaving work about 2:30 for a 6:00 meeting to allow myself time to travel, get in a walk before the meeting and maybe get a quick bite to eat.

I go to Tufts and love dealing with Dr. Stephanie Powers. She is awesome!

Consider giving the distance a try. You'll be glad to have the support.

Penny

Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 681 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2251 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4438 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4574 views