Pre-Op-ish Diet

Amy F.
on 2/14/11 2:01 am - MA
So... I don't have my surgery booked yet and it may be a couple months yet.  Do you think I should be trying some post-op type stuff to see what I like?

Did people try to get completely off caffeine before getting the surgery?  I'm a caffeine fanatic and don't know how to stop!  :)

Any ideas about how to plan and change this far out would be wonderful!  Thank you!

Amy

(deactivated member)
on 2/14/11 2:59 am - Boston, MA
I got lots of samples of vitamins and protein. I got so many free samples I try a different multi everyday for flavor sake!  I know my taste can change after the surgery but I have to have something to have right after might as well start with something I like now.  And I still have a lot of samples to try later after surgery.  I'm going to go with the ENS vitamins in cake batter flavor to start with.  I have tried a bunch of protein shakes I like click the best but can't have that for awhile since it has caffeine but it sure is yummy!

I HATE all artifical sugar food and drinks that I've tried in the past so I've been trying lots and lots of them so I can have something I won't gag on after surgery.  The only three drinks I like are Fuze slenderize, Vitamin water zero and I actually really like SOBE lifewater, no aftertaste once so ever and the flavors are good! I've also tried some yogurts and surgar free jellos and such..

I have never been a coffee drinker but I do like soda.. I've stopped drinking all soda.  I think it's best to stop before otherwise it would be so hard after, atleast now I could do it gradually.  If you drink a lot of coffee in the am I think you might want to stop doing that or you will have headaches.

My surgery is 4 weeks away, I have to do a 2 week preop liquid diet, I already do 1 or 2 meal replacement shakes a day.. just to get used to it.. because now if I'm starving I can eat something else! but atleast it's a step in the right direction.  And I  honestly don't miss anything.. it's weird I have an entirely different view of food.. I'm not thinking about it constantly anymore!! I'm thinking about size 6 low rise jeans instead! lol

good luck!
Sue M.
on 2/14/11 4:23 am - Nantucket, MA
i agree with getting samples of all kinds of protein drinks - ready made and powders and give 'em a try before surgery. 

I did de-caffeinate myself before surgery, by slowly mixing regular and decaf until I was all decaf for a week or more before surgery.  It made everything a lot easier.

Start now on chewing your food a lot, slowing down how fast you eat, and not drinking with your meals.  These are big tickets to success!
Read my blog, BARIATHLETE   I run because I can.

First 5K race October 4, 2009   (34.59)  PR 5/22/11 (27:26)
First 5 Mile: January 1, 2011 (50:30)
First 10K: July 4, 2010 (1:03.26) New PR 4/10/11 (1:01.14)
First 10 Mile: April 11, 2010  (1:46.15)
First 1/2 marathon: June 13, 2010 (2:22.21)  PR: 5/1/11 (2:17.30)
First Marathon: October 16, 2011: 5:47:20

Goofy Challenge: January 7-8, 2012
If you think you can, you can.  If you think you can't, you're right. - Mary Kay Ash
Coreen13
on 2/15/11 6:33 am - MA
Hi,

I was a huge coffee drinker and ended up giving that up a few weeks before surgery.  I'm so glad I did because I had very bad headaches!  I wouldn't have wanted to be coping with those and everything after surgery the first week.  I drank a lot of decaf tea while giving it up.

The one thing I wished I had worked on more was drinking water.  I was never a big water drinker and now I struggle to get it all in.  I don't think many people have as much of a problem though.

The protein samples are great ideas, as I bought big things of them and they tasted/smelled horrible.  GNC does let you return though if you only use one scoop. 

Sounds like you will do great with such motiviation!  Good luck!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 681 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2251 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4438 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4574 views