Birth Control after RNY?

C J
on 2/12/11 2:00 am - Franklin, MA
I'm currently on the Pill but after meeting with my surgeon she suggesting using a back-up!
I'm only a few weeks out  so:
1) when should I start using a back-up???
2) what's a good "back-up" to prevent pregnancy (abstinance is NOT an option!)

I have an appointment with my Gyno. in a few weeks and want to have some options to talk about.
I've been declared a slow loser - and couldn't be happier!!
 I  can,  I  will.  

(deactivated member)
on 2/12/11 10:39 am - Boston, MA
 You didn't have to go off the pill for surgery?  I've been on the same pill for 11 yrs.  They made me go off it last month for the surgery and it's killing me!! I haven't had a period in 3 yrs because of the pill and this week? I think I'm bleeding enough for 3 yrs.. (TMI SORRY) but it's awful I can barely take it anymore it's been 7 days!!!!  They told me not to rely on the pill after the surgery and to get an IUD. I might still go on the pill just so I don't get my period anymore.. but my boyfriend is going to get the snip.
C J
on 2/12/11 10:24 pm - Franklin, MA
Oh yeah, I was off the pill about a month before my surgery - it can casue blood clots and other complications so there was no hesitation in stopping pre-op!!  I went back on at the start of my new cycle last week but they say I should use a "backup" to prevent pregnancy since the pill may not be 100% absorbed.   I posted this same subject on the RNY forum and got a huge response... mostly suggesting the Mirena which isn't covered by my insurance but with appeals I think they'd approve it given the fact that they approved my surgery. 

I've been on the pill forever myself and it's been great - my cycle is like clockwork. I have a Gyn. appointment in a few weeks and hopefully by then I'll have info on options.

NO BABIES for me (right now anyway)
Cusscusscutie
on 2/12/11 11:16 pm - MA
I didn't have the surgery however I do have the Mirena iud and it's great! I got in June and my monthly is down to a trickle every month. I sued to have a very heavy flow that lasted for 7 days.

C J
on 2/13/11 12:05 am - Franklin, MA
Do you remember what having it placed was like? Ive read that some docs provide a local anesthetic. Is there pain or just uncomfy??
Cusscusscutie
on 2/13/11 1:40 am - MA
I took a pain reliever before I had it done.  I was a quick painful pinch when he snaps the IUD in place then a little soreness for like a day and thats all.  It really was not that bad.  I do have one disclaimer that is a bit TMI (sorry in advance)  If your significant other is how should I say it...... well endowed,  he may feel a quick poke which is quite a suprise to them and you!   It happened once and since that we have been fine.
DwindlingFlower
on 2/13/11 9:40 am - Quincy, MA
Even prior to surgery I switched from the pill to the nuvaring and absolutely love it!! Very convenient, you don't feel it in you nor does your partner feel it during intercourse, I personally won't use anything else. Best birth control ever and when your ready to start trying, you just stop putting it in..... Awesomeness!!

DwindlingFlower

Sue M.
on 2/13/11 11:47 am - Nantucket, MA
I too switched over to Mirena a few months before my surgery.  I love it and haven't had a period in over 2 years... so the amount of money I save in co-pays plus tampons, etc, is HUGE.

If I were on the pill still, I probably would have gone with the sponge, condoms or some kind of spermicidal jelly for back-up. 

The insertion of the IUD was not pleasant... I needed to lay there for about 20 minutes afterwards cuz I was lightheaded... and then about 30 minutes later I had a very URGENT bowel movement..... other than that, I just felt blah for a few hours. 

So, not the worse experience, but more uncomfortable than your average pelvic exam.  Totally worth 5 years of no fuss birth control though!
Read my blog, BARIATHLETE   I run because I can.

First 5K race October 4, 2009   (34.59)  PR 5/22/11 (27:26)
First 5 Mile: January 1, 2011 (50:30)
First 10K: July 4, 2010 (1:03.26) New PR 4/10/11 (1:01.14)
First 10 Mile: April 11, 2010  (1:46.15)
First 1/2 marathon: June 13, 2010 (2:22.21)  PR: 5/1/11 (2:17.30)
First Marathon: October 16, 2011: 5:47:20

Goofy Challenge: January 7-8, 2012
If you think you can, you can.  If you think you can't, you're right. - Mary Kay Ash
(deactivated member)
on 2/13/11 11:07 pm - Boston, MA
Don't trust the sponge I have a 17 yr old sponge baby! lol =)
LianaMarie248
on 2/18/11 12:41 am - MA
I'm surprised ur required to have two birth controls. I'm not required to take anything. I don't like them so my dr said just be safe and use condoms. Mirena sounds great but check studies on long term effects. A friend had it in for the five years and is now struggling to get pregnant..it cud be for many reasons but her dr said one could be from long term birth control. Just do ur research and be careful. And just use condoms as a backup until u make an informed decision otherwise. We don't want an uh oh pregnancy just a month out of surgery for u! Good lucky hun!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 681 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2251 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4438 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4574 views