not much luck for plastic surgery being covered

eddiestigerbaby
on 2/5/11 2:10 am - East Wareham, MA
I had my gastric bypass surgery Oct. 27, 2009 and have lost over 180 pounds and am well under my original goal weight. I felt pretty ok with my body knowing I had to have some surgery done but I wasn't as saggy as I am now. I am only 28 and look horrible. Plus have been having issues with rashes and hormonal issues that the doctors believe is due to the excessive skin yet my insurance BMC HealthNet won't help cover. Not sure what to do since I absolutley hate my body now and it is seriously affecting my life. I don't like to get compliments because they say I look so thin but I see all the skin and think they are crazy. I also have stopped being intimate with my hubby because I hate anyone looking at my body. I live in MA and was looking for some others who may have been through this. I am a mom and a college student so the full estimate from PS was about 45000 and there is no way I can afford that. Welcome any help and support given. Thanks.
Tammy

Tammy Westgate    
RedSox15
on 2/5/11 11:47 pm - MA
Hey Tammy,

Congrats on your success so far ... 180 lbs is amazing.  I can only imagine the stress you are going through right now ... excess skin is such a *****!!  The insurance system can be so frustrating in the fact that it doesn't cover plastic surgery.  It is not like we are rich housewives who just want to go under the knife every couple of months .... the emotional, mental and physical stress our skin gives us can be so complicated that is simply needs to be removed!!

Unfortunately, I do not have any good information on the plastics scene ... but I just wanted to check in and offer some support! 

Kate
*Kate*
 HW: 286 SW: 253 CW: 167 GW: 150 

(deactivated member)
on 2/6/11 12:51 am - Boston, MA
 Hi Tammy!
Cheer up you have lost almost 200 lbs that is amazing you should be so damn proud of yourself.. hold your head up high!!!!!!  The skin issue is a big concern to me as well and I haven't even had the surgery yet!!  How I look at it is I hate myself naked in a mirror right now.. right now I need a tummy tuck, thigh lift, arm lift.. it's full of fat but still looks gross to me.. so atleast dropping 200 lbs I can look good WITH clothes on .. better than now, I would rather look HOT with clothes on and gross with clothes off than Gross with and without! that make sense!!?? 

You can't look at the surgery as X amount of money for everything you want done, start with one thing at a time .. if you are getting rashes, start documenting them go to your doctor every time, take pics, go see a therapist let them document your mental state the excess skin is causing.. My friend finally got hers covered even though they initially said no.  And if all else fails.. start saving.  What's a tummy tuck 10k.. that's two years of tax returns for me.. then I'll start working on what's bothering me next.. you've lived your life being overweight and unhappy.. you did the hardest part so far and lost all that weight now chip away at the surgeries you want it's part of the struggle but you will get there in the end!!  I would get more quotes.. $45,000?? My friends mom got a tummy tuck and boob job for $12K.. shop around!

I promise you your husband doesn't care about your skin!! and if it really bothers you have sex with the lights off!  Wear a t-shirt.. handcuff him to the bed so he can't touch your saggy parts, he will like that!! 

Good luck to you and complain anytime!!!
Kimberly

CATHERINE81
on 2/6/11 4:31 am - BROCKTON, MA
tammy we both have the same insurance and i got denied at first and last week went to another ps for consulation.. trust me i feel your pain please keep your head up and keep trying my stomach bothers me alot but i keep telling myself im healthy and thats what matters.

catherine
mjvallee
on 2/7/11 1:06 am
Sorry to hear you are going thru this...all I have to say is 'document..document...document, every time you have a rash, skin breakdown, aches/pain in your shoulders from your breast being large and droopy, (sorry so descriptive) This is what I did and was told to do from MD and insurance did pay for it all, except small part of abdominalplasty which ended up costing me about 2500. As someone else said, shop around,as 45k seems a bit high, and go after the areas you are most unhappy with first. For me that was my breasts (like old tube socks they were) and my abdomen. I now have perky boobs and a tight (er) abd. and I will be 55 next month. I do have about 60 lbs left to lsoe but I feel so mcuh better that it has given me incentive to move the weight on the scald downward again. Hope everything works out for you!
MJ Boston, MA
MJ (Boston) RNY 6/25/01 pre-op 335 goal 160 Breast reduction 4/04  38J to 38C
Panniculectomy with anchor incision 5/8/09 (10lbs skin lost) re-do of breast reduction to correct flaws 38c to 38c- with lateral breast lift.        
DwindlingFlower
on 2/8/11 1:30 am - Quincy, MA
I tried for over 2 years with Aetna to get my tummy skin removed with no luck regardless of all the documentation from my PCP on rashes and yeast infections in my bellybutton. Eventually ,y husband and I paid for it put of pocket and as most of the other posts, your quote of $45,000 is ridiculous!!! I had a tummy tuck, breast list and breast augmentation all at the same time and it cost me $14,000. We saved up and were able to make payments as well. If you can only afford one procedure at a time than do it that way. If itspossible look into changing health insurance companies as some are more lenient than others when it comes to skin removal coverage. I know it's hard to have worked so diligently to get healthy to still be unhappy with your body, but regardless your healthy and that's the main thing. If money is really tight, start saving now, come the spring have agarage sale or bake sale and put the proceeds toward your plastic surgery fund. Start selling your old fat clothes on eBay or at a consignment store, every little bit counts!

DwindlingFlower

patti72
on 2/11/11 4:29 am - MA
 Congrads on your weight loss...I can tell you from my experience that I had a issue with rashes as well due to my weight loss from a RNY. I went to Dr. Castle is worcester ma and got a tummy tuck and my insurance covered it all. I have BCBS and as long as the Dr can prove that the flaggy skin affects your health in some way they will usually cover it. I would suggest looking into dr Castle he fought very hard for me to get my TT and I got approved on the frist try.. Good Luck!
Patti
Open RNY 10/06/03
Lost 134pds
Ancor Cut TT 07/18/07

Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 681 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2251 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4438 views