Need support

jezzabelle81
on 2/2/11 9:19 am - Fall River, MA
Hi...

I have been a member of this site for quite some time, but never really come on... I have been struggling a lot lately, and could really use some support...so thought I'd come on here and try to find some people to talk to!!!   I'm a little over a year out, and have lost a lot and am doing well physically, but am struggling with some other areas... loose skin specifically, and friends and family members just not understanding... I don't know... just thought I'd vent...thanks for listening! :)
"Take the first step in faith. You don't have to see the whole staircase, just take the first step" ~Martin Luther King

RedSox15
on 2/2/11 11:52 am, edited 2/2/11 11:59 am - MA
Hey Jezza!

Welcome to the board ... you'll definitely find some great people and support on here.

Congrats on your weight loss - 184lbs is simply amazing!

Ahhh, loose skin - it sucks! No ifs, ands or butts about it. It is frustrating how friends & family don't quite understand it ... I feel like they think we can just exercise it off and do certain things to tighen it back up. I know that I have some people in my life that think that and I keep trying to tell them that nothing will work, only plastic surgery unfortunately. What kind of insurance do you have? Will they cover a panni at all? BCBS of MA just introduced a new plan where I think they might be covering it soon... Lisa might be able to shed a little more light on that (my insurance changed from BCBS to Tufts, bummer!)

I also just read your blog post on your profile ... I completely understand about the dating situation. I never dated anyone seriously before but met some guys in college ... I would absolutely freak out about getting close to them because I was so big. Now that I've lost weight I think I would freak out even more because my body looks like such a nightmare with all the loose skin. You would think we would be happier with ourselves (and I know that some people ARE!) buts its almost like we trade in one insecurity for another. It just never ends! Arghh!! LOL

Stick around on the boards and you'll get some great responses I'm sure! Best of luck
*Kate*
 HW: 286 SW: 253 CW: 167 GW: 150 

Sue M.
on 2/3/11 1:23 am - Nantucket, MA
"regular" people will not understand.  We look fine in our clothes, so how could we be freaks underneath???  We are.  I lost about 120 lbs, and have a butt that wrinkles to my the back of my knees.  I can pull the bottom of my butt out the top of my pants!  I can do party tricks with my skin.

anyway, I'm learning to accept the skin.  I've been denied by my insurance company for any kind of plastics, and I'm just not in the position to pay out of pocket.  someday, maybe. 

The good news:  i have a sense of humor about it.  I love the new me, and I'm confident that I'm an awesome person, without or without my freak skin suit. 

I hit the dating scene post-op, and hoped that I'd be smart enough to know a good guy when I saw one.  I DID!  The right guy won't care about the skin....He knew about my surgery and weight loss before he saw it...but I never told him anything about the skin... I just kept up my confident attitude and prayed.  He doesn't care about it... he loves ME.  A few men did experience the skin before Mr. Wonderful, and none said anything about it.  

Congrats on your success so far!  Keep your chin up and believe in yourself!
Read my blog, BARIATHLETE   I run because I can.

First 5K race October 4, 2009   (34.59)  PR 5/22/11 (27:26)
First 5 Mile: January 1, 2011 (50:30)
First 10K: July 4, 2010 (1:03.26) New PR 4/10/11 (1:01.14)
First 10 Mile: April 11, 2010  (1:46.15)
First 1/2 marathon: June 13, 2010 (2:22.21)  PR: 5/1/11 (2:17.30)
First Marathon: October 16, 2011: 5:47:20

Goofy Challenge: January 7-8, 2012
If you think you can, you can.  If you think you can't, you're right. - Mary Kay Ash
DwindlingFlower
on 2/8/11 1:38 am - Quincy, MA
You should try coming to one of the local support group meetings, they really do help! Lisa runs a meeting in Bridgewater on the last Monday of the month. I host one at my house in Quincy on the 2nd Wednesday (tomorrow) of every month at 6pm. It's very open and a great group of people who have been there, done that and give support to one another on everything in-between. If you'd like more information let me know.

DwindlingFlower

Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 681 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2251 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4438 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4574 views