No idea how challenging this would be

C J
on 1/29/11 11:49 am - Franklin, MA
Grrr I'm so frustrated, day 1 home on my own... I made this great little chart to keep track of what and when I conusme fluids and protiens. 

Boy am I doing bad... Have no desire to eat but have a timer set so I remember, it almost feels like I'm forcing it , should it take 4hours to eat 6oz of yogurt.  I get completely full off of 4oz of liquid... wahhh I wanna cry

Advice pretty please!!!!!!
lisa2010
on 1/29/11 4:20 pm - MA
 Relax, you're doing fine!  You JUST had major surgery; you're expecting a lot from yourself.  The day I got home from the hospital, I didn't even try my protein shakes; just drank water all day a couple of sips at a time.  Day 2 I started the protein, but after a full week I was STILL not getting in 64oz water plus 3 shakes.  At my one week follow up I was told to stop worrying about it and just do my best, it would take a little time and I was being to hard on myself.  Sounds like that's where you are!  The first week home was *really* hard.  Week 2 was better - still sore and tired but at least I was eating a little.  By 2 weeks post-op I felt like myself again, but still with a less energy.  By 3 weeks I felt GREAT.  I'll be 4 weeks tomorrow, and I am getting my 64 oz water every day and eating my 3 oz protein at almost every meal (breakfast is still a challenge, but I think I'm just getting sick of eggs).   

Just try to get through the physical healing time, after that you should see a very steep curve up in how you're feeling.  Hang in there, and don't force things down if you're not yet up to it.  I would be shocked if you did get in everything right now - I was sleeping so much at that point, there were truly not enough hours in the day.

-Lisa
Starting Weight: 277.5, Pre-op Weight: 259.3, Current Weight: 176.8

RedSox15
on 1/30/11 4:56 am, edited 1/30/11 11:40 am - MA
Relax - you're doing absolutely fine !!

No one ... not even Dr. Shah/Tufts ... will expect you to get in 64oz for the first week or so. TOTALLY NORMAL =) It would take me at least 4 hours to finish a 16oz bottle of water. Doesn't matter how long it takes you for the first week ... as long as you're getting everything in you're totally fine. Focus on getting in your water/liquids intake first and then focus on your yogurt/protein.

YOU'RE DOING GREAT
*Kate*
 HW: 286 SW: 253 CW: 167 GW: 150 

Penny V.
on 1/30/11 9:59 am - Orleans, MA
You are recovering from MAJOR surgery. It is okay if you don't get everything in in the beginning.

Maybe you should try something besides yogurt. It is really strange that the things you used to be able to eat without a problem are suddenly hard to process/get in.

If I'm not mistaken, you had a revision. That may inhibit some of your progress in the beginning also.

Liquids are really hard in the beginning. It will take time,  but evenutally, you will be able to drink again. It took me quite a while to be able to get fluids in but nowadays, it is much easier.

Hang in there!! It will get better.

And- WELCOME TO THE LOSER'S BENCH!!!!

(deactivated member)
on 1/30/11 9:53 pm - Boston, MA
I agree with everyone else! Concentrate on the liquids so you don't get dehydrated.  It's so weird to me that each of our programs is so different, post op I'm supposed to be on liquid only for 2 weeks and then pureed for 2 weeks.. maybe it's just too soon for you to try food things must be super swollen in there!!  Don't stress.. just drink!!
C J
on 1/30/11 10:54 pm - Franklin, MA
Mine is stages: Stage 1 (First 24 Hrs) sip water
Stage 2 (Day 3) Clear Liquids, Flat gingeale, broth, SF Jello(I still can't do jello)
Stage 3 (Day 4 - lasts two-3 weeks (or longer - have to be released to 4) 64+ oz fluid/50-60g Protien. Light yogurts , skim milk, cream soup, protein shakes, pudding, eggs.

At this rate I'll be doing two weeks of lquids LOL!!
Jell-O is intimidating to me, I tried but  it's just to heavy!!!

Fresh start today - now that it's been a week, I'm going to sip more!!!
(deactivated member)
on 1/30/11 11:39 pm - Boston, MA
well I hope today is a better day for you!! , you able to sleep comfortably ect??
Sue M.
on 1/30/11 11:40 pm - Nantucket, MA
it's shocking, isn't it?

You will figure it out eventually.  remember, you've got GOALS, but it takes time to achieve them.  Even when it seems the goal of finishing that 8 oz glass of water seems silly, it's a goal because it's not easy after surgery.

I was told to just keep trying.  and even if I couldn't finish when it was time to "eat" I should at least try one spoonful.  6 oz of yogurt is a lot, so yeah, I'm not surprised it might take you 4 hours.  try an oz at a time.
Read my blog, BARIATHLETE   I run because I can.

First 5K race October 4, 2009   (34.59)  PR 5/22/11 (27:26)
First 5 Mile: January 1, 2011 (50:30)
First 10K: July 4, 2010 (1:03.26) New PR 4/10/11 (1:01.14)
First 10 Mile: April 11, 2010  (1:46.15)
First 1/2 marathon: June 13, 2010 (2:22.21)  PR: 5/1/11 (2:17.30)
First Marathon: October 16, 2011: 5:47:20

Goofy Challenge: January 7-8, 2012
If you think you can, you can.  If you think you can't, you're right. - Mary Kay Ash
LianaMarie248
on 2/3/11 12:54 am - MA
Awww. Sweetie. I hope youre doing better. I havent gotten there but ur posts thus far have been an inspiration. you seem to be doing great. Take your time. :) I hope you are not getting too down on yourself. Youre on the LOSERS BENCH! Im so jealous! :P Smile, sip and be strong. youll get there. :)

Have a good day love

Lee

Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 681 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2251 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4438 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4574 views