Self payer looking for location in MA-CT-RI for the VSG

jthomp7889
on 1/29/11 8:28 am - Shrewsbury, MA
 I live in Mass and think I want the VSG. I have looked into Plication and may consider it too if I could get more feedback. It has been impossible to locate someone locally who will accept a self pay in the MA area. Especially keeping it reasonable. If you had a VSG and are from the area can you tell me who and how it went/going? Any self pay prices are helpful..

Thanks
Jeff

RedSox15
on 1/30/11 5:11 am, edited 1/30/11 5:17 am - MA
Hey Jeff ... there are a few people on here who have had the VSG; they should be along shortly to answer any questions!

I do know that Tufts, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and Newton-Wellesley do the VSG. There might be another hospital as well but can't think of who it might be. Maybe someone on here can help out and add another hospital!

Best of luck, Jeff

Kate
*Kate*
 HW: 286 SW: 253 CW: 167 GW: 150 

DwindlingFlower
on 1/30/11 7:50 am - Quincy, MA
Hi Jeff,

I have been a patient at St. Elizabeth's in Brighton since 03 and Dr. Nicole Pecquex does perform VSG there and you shouldn't have a problem doing self pay.

DwindlingFlower

RedSox15
on 1/30/11 9:02 am - MA
Ahh, yes - St. E's was the other hospital I was thinking of that did the VSG! Thanks Flower =)
jthomp7889
on 1/30/11 10:38 am - Shrewsbury, MA
 Thanks ladies... I can call her and see what they charge as self pay. My first thought is it will be very expensive. Some of the locations in NE and $20-$30k which may force me out of town.

Thanks!
RedSox15
on 1/30/11 11:42 am - MA
Yeah, it stinks that our surgeries are wicked expensive!  No chance that your insurance will cover the VSG?  What about coverage for the other surgeries?
*Kate*
 HW: 286 SW: 253 CW: 167 GW: 150 

E C.
on 3/1/11 6:54 am
jthomp7889
on 3/1/11 7:22 am - Shrewsbury, MA
 Thanks... my only concern is my insurance will not back me up should there be a complication. Unlikely, but if there is I lose everything. No short or long term disability, no pay for being out of work and depending on how long I could be out (weeks-months) I could lose my home. I know it's a long stretch but it's still a possibility. I did find someone in the US who has done many for $10k and quick inexpensive flight. He only offers Bliscare (more $$ of course) but will provide me a piece of mind. Now I just have to get the guts (no pun intended) to do it. I fear the mourning of food which has been my love for so many years. Most everyone is so happy with their VSG and I am sure I would be too. Just a chicken when it comes to operations. Many people have said they throw up a lot. That makes me nervous too. I'm a presenter and the last thing I need to do in front a group is loose my lunch...

Thanks for the input. BTW, I presented in Keene NH today! 
MrsClaus09
on 3/1/11 10:07 am

Not sure if you've mentioned this in another post, but, are you sure your insurance won't cover VSG?  Several of them are covering the procedure now and, especially after an intial denial. 

My journey:   http://abowlfullofjelly.blogspot.com/ w/ March 2011 Sleevers List
"Sleeve Santa Sleeve!"

HW: 309 ~ PreOpW: 306 ~ SW: 293 ~ CW: 184  
jthomp7889
on 3/1/11 10:20 am - Shrewsbury, MA
No, they won't cover any WL retaled surgery, testing or complications. Nothing, zero zilch. If I were diabetic with a heart condition they still wouldn't. They need to get with the program. It's actually not the insurance, it's my employer who excludes it. Already talked to HR and they just said "no". So, this will be an investment in myself.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 681 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2251 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4438 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4574 views