Heading home... Attempt #2

C J
on 1/28/11 1:40 am - Franklin, MA
So I was discharged on Wednesday late afternoon was super tired from the drive and a little running around, I went right to bed about 9ish. At about 10:30 I noticed the fluid in my drain looked a bit purple and well I was sipping PowerAde Zero grape! I was terrified so. called the surgeon on call... He said let's not fool around, get back here. After the 21/2hr trek thru the smow storm we arrived at Tufts where I was admitted right away but as usual no room on the 4th floor! The bariayric surgeon on call did some blood work and some poking and prodding. I was flipping exhausted watch tick away 4AM frankie decides to take a nap in his truck and I fell asleep on the concrete slab they called a stretcher!!!! Morning arrives and docs I recognize start showing up.
Then DrShah... she ordered another Upper GI and had me drink some blue stuff to see if I did in fact have a leak! Final verdict NO LEAK!!!!!!! I wanted to cry I was so relived. Dr. Shah was by my side at every moment she could be. She was do sweet. I was held for observation one more night (finally got a bed at 4:00 almost 12hrs after arrival). My back was in outta control but got some heavy mess to take care of that!! Slept good lastinght and was advanced to stage 3 a little while ago... gonna be outta here by 3:30 today and have been assured and reassured that all looks welll and I'm making great progress!!! Yay me.... Home here I come!!!!
C J
on 1/28/11 1:46 am - Franklin, MA
Holy Typos!!! You'll have to work thru em theyre tough to edit in text!
RedSox15
on 1/28/11 6:22 am - MA
Phew - so glad the final verdict was NO leak! Yahoo!! Did they ever figure out what was going on?? And why is it that there are NEVER any beds on the 4th floor? LOL Well, get better soon because I just scootched over and there is now a seat for you on the losers bench !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
*Kate*
 HW: 286 SW: 253 CW: 167 GW: 150 

Penny V.
on 1/28/11 6:48 am - Orleans, MA
I'm glad you're improving. Sorry you had all the delays.

When I was there for my gallbladder last week, I was added on last Wednesday to the surgical schedule. Dr. Kim joked that it may not be until 6 p.m. I said that's okay, lets get it done, I'm here.  So, she called at noon to say about 3:00, then she called about 4:30 said hoping for 6ish. Got the call about 6:45 to come in, they prepped me and the I waited some more for the O.R.  Once that was free, they had NO BEDS - no room in recovery for me so we had to wait for that. She was hoping I would be admitted overnight due to the time of the surgery (10 p.m.!!! - long day with no food or water). So finally, recovery opened up and I was told that I would be more comfortable at the hotel (across the street at the Doubletree Inn), so when I was discharged, about 1:00 a.m., my husband wheeled me across the street, snow and all, to the hotel, up the first elevator, across the lobby and up the 2nd elevator then through the halls to our room.  I was very thankful that I ended up in my hotel room rather than on a gurney.

While I was waiting, Dr. Kim said that this is very unusual. The hospital census is WAY UP - mostly medical - but it's flu season, etc. She had no idea why it was so high but, it affects the whole place.

I hope you have made it home by now, Christine!!  I also moved over to make more room on the losers bench! It's amazing, its so much easier to move over now!

RedSox15
on 1/28/11 9:37 am - MA
Oh man Penny - you didn't have a bed either!!  CRAZY!! LOL  Did Tufts pay for your hotel or did you have to pay for it?  I would so rather stay in a hotel than on a gurney but I would at least hope Tufts would of taken care of that for you since they didn't have a room open .... :)  Glad to hear your surgery went well!!!! 

*Kate*
 HW: 286 SW: 253 CW: 167 GW: 150 

Penny V.
on 1/30/11 9:37 am - Orleans, MA
Well, I already had the hotel room - booked at the Tufts rate because due to the time of year, they had that rate available.I was glad just to get over to the hotel and not have to stay in recovery.

And, I was real happy just to get the surgery done and over with. There was no space in the schedule in the next few weeks and I didn't want o t have to deal with the pain anymore.

LianaMarie248
on 1/28/11 7:50 am - MA
Im sorry you had to deal with all that! I hope you are getting adequate rest and feeling better. Get to 100% soon and keep us posted. Congrats on being on the losers bench! I cant wait to join you!

Liana

(deactivated member)
on 1/29/11 5:01 am - Boston, MA
 Well I'm glad everything turned out ok.. what was actually wrong?? That had to be scary and to have to go back in the snow.. what a pita!!!! keep us posted and get some rest!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 681 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2251 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4438 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4574 views