Vertical Gastric Sleeve surgery? (VSG)

Cusscusscutie
on 1/29/11 9:07 pm - MA
I am not sure you would have to call Umass and see if they will do it for you

MrsClaus09
on 1/29/11 10:18 pm, edited 1/29/11 10:19 pm
I think it's important that you speak with the surgeons as, the last time I spoke with them about the VSG, they "would do it" but they "hadn't yet performed any VSG's" - so, be sure you're comfortable with your decision.  As a surgeon at Umass said to me "I'd be happy to give it a try..."

ETA:  In my 3+ year surgery quest I have found that this is VERY competitive field...I have spent time in 3 different programs and all but 1 spoke horribly about the other programs.  At the same two, several of the medical professionals didn't even KNOW what a VSG was until I mentioned it to them.  They informed me as well that they performed the surgery, got me to their info session and then tried to sway me into the RnY or LB surgical routes.  Just wanted to share fwiw.  Good luck to you!

I'm with the BIDMC program and love it!
My journey:   http://abowlfullofjelly.blogspot.com/ w/ March 2011 Sleevers List
"Sleeve Santa Sleeve!"

HW: 309 ~ PreOpW: 306 ~ SW: 293 ~ CW: 184  
jthomp7889
on 1/30/11 12:55 am - Shrewsbury, MA
 Thanks folks... I did go to the Umass class and did ask them about self pay and they wouldn't do it. And they said if they considered doing it they would only to the Lapband and nothing else. I guess I am forced to travel which I don't prefer but expect if Umass DID offer self pay it would be cheaper to travel. It's just a comfort thing having the doctor a half hour drive away and not a plane ride. I am down to the GSP (Plication) in OH or VSG in MI or NC... No matter how I go it;s $11k+.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 682 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2252 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views