what did you bring to the hospital, especially if you went to Tufts?

Joanne77
on 1/13/11 9:31 pm, edited 1/13/11 9:37 pm
I figure a change of clothes, chapstick and maybe a book or magazines,  Is there anything else you would recommend?  Wednesday is the big day for me!

Also, do you remember how much the parking garage charges for the day?
M M
on 1/14/11 5:16 am
 Nothing. 

You will be cracked out on morphine and busy getting up to walk the hall, go pee and go back to bed.  You won't pick up a book.  

Enjoy your medicated staycation.

Lip-balm, flushable wipes, face wipes.  You're good.
Just Brooke
on 1/14/11 10:36 am
Stretchy clothes/lounge wear, chapstick, mouth wash, bathroom stuff ...that was it. If I was awake I was up and walking or watching TV ...or I was sleeping. MM is right, it's pretty hard to do much on morphine. Your biggest challenge aside from walking will be remembering to drink 1 oz of liquid every 15 minutes.

RedSox15
on 1/14/11 11:35 am, edited 1/14/11 11:39 am - MA
I went to Tufts (hello surgeon sister!) .... they provide you with hand lotion, mouthwash, toothbrush etc. At least they provided me this. I brought my cell phone and I also highly recommend bringing your camera ... take pictures along the way. The morning of surgery I got a photo in front of the giant teddy bear and exactly one year to the date of my surgery I went back and took after photos in front of the teddy bear again ... sooooo glad I did this!

I brought my ipod and a wordsearch to use but I did not use it. Definitely bring a change of clothes and some baby wipes. Maybe bring some lotion/toothbrush supplies just in case they no longer give you the toiletries supply pack (I was sooo thankful they gave it to me.) Oh, I also had to have my mom go to the giftshop b/c I forgot hair elastics lol. Just pulling my hair back into a ponytail was such a relief

You will be in the hospital a total of 3 days ... expensive to leave your car in the parking garage. Are you able to get a ride from someone? The first 30 mins is free in the garage (the first 30 mins is also free for valet; minus the tip.) On the day of my discharge my parents did valet when they picked me up - so much quicker and easier than getting in and out of the garage. Having to not pay for the first 30 minutes and just leaving a tip was much more convenient.

Best of luck on your surgery ... I can't say enough good things about Dr. Shikora!!!
*Kate*
 HW: 286 SW: 253 CW: 167 GW: 150 

Joanne77
on 1/16/11 3:36 am
Thanks for the advice ladies.  My husband will be taking me in and picking me up, but he was going to wait around while I'm in surgery and I was curious how much the garage would cost for several hours.  I think I found on-line it's a $20 daily fee. 

Did you all have visitors, should I tell my husband not to bother hanging around and what about the next day?  I hate to have him come into Boston if I won't even be able to spend much time with him.

Thanks again for all your help.
RedSox15
on 1/16/11 5:23 am, edited 1/16/11 5:24 am - MA
You're allowed visitors but they won't be able to see you until you're out of the PACU and back to your room. It all depends when your surgery is too.

Dr. Shikora will come to see your husband (or whoever is there for you) after you are done with surgery and are in recovery to let him know how you've done and how your surgery went. At this point you will be in the PACU (post anesthesia care unit) and recovering. You are not allowed visitors here. Once you are back in your room your husband and others will be allowed to visit.

My surgery was at 12 noon. Once they took me in for surgery my mom left and drove back home to get my dad after he was finished with work. While they were waiting they decided to get coffee and missed Dr. Shikora by 5 minutes and he ended up calling them on their cell phone to give them an update of how I did. My private room wasn't ready for me until the next day so I ended up staying overnight in the PACU (since I stayed overnight there my parents were allowed to visit as I did not have a room yet; otherwise you are not allowed visitors in the PACU.) The nurses there were awesome and I had one entire side of the PACU to myself.... I was still wicked sleepy from the anesthesia so I would pass in and out while watching tv lol!

You will be allowed to have as many visitors as you'd like the day after surgery and your husband will be able to stay with you for as long as you'd like him to (within visiting hours of course). My mom came to visit and stayed for a while. The nurses will encourage you to get up and walk with people who are visiting you... it passes the time much more easier than walking youself. At least you'll have someone to talk to :)
*Kate*
 HW: 286 SW: 253 CW: 167 GW: 150 

Chrissy0922
on 1/16/11 4:07 am - Warwick, RI
Listerine strips are very much needed!

GL with your surgery!

Joanne77
on 1/16/11 8:52 pm
great, thanks for all the info.
kgrenier12
on 1/18/11 11:35 pm - pembroke, MA
I also had Dr. Shikora@ Tufts!

When your husband picks you up from the hospital - tell him to bring a pillow for you.

I got this tip on this site:  hold a pillow up against your stomach for the ride home from the hospital.

It totally worked for me and made me feel soo much more comfortable.

We have 6 incisions and it felt like my stomach wasn't being held in.

Every bump in the road home I could feel and holding the pillow up against my stomach made me feel better - supported.

Another tip - walk as soon as possible and as much as possible right after surgery.  I walked in the PACU a few hours after surgery.  It reduces the pain from the air they use to perform the surgery.  I kept asking for pain meds but once I started walking - the pain went away 70%!

Dr. Shikora and Tufts are phenomenal.  The PACU nurses were great.  I didn't get a room until 8pm the day of surgery (my surgery was @ 7:30am)  The PACU is like a 4 star hotel.  I was able to sit in a recliner chair and it was awesome!

SW: 262   CW: 170  GW:155
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 681 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2251 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4438 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4574 views