New here!

Kellannb
on 1/14/11 1:49 pm - MA
Hi!  I am new here.  My husband is going through all the steps to have surgery.  He is a patient of Dr Shah at Tufts.  He attended the recent Immersion Day, anyone else here attend it? I am hoping to be able to come here, ask questions and get awesome pointers and tips! We live on the south shore, have a 10 month old daughter & my husband is a chef.
cmchugh_723
on 1/14/11 9:19 pm - Kingston, MA

Wellcome to the Mass boards.  I had my surgery at Tufts and Dr. Shah was my surgeon.  I thought she was great and was very happy with the program.  I am not sure if you know about this or not but Tufts has a meeting once a month, the first hour is for everyone and goes over a different topic each meeting.  The second hour is for people who are new and have not had the surgery yet.  They answer any questions and let you know what to expect.  Family is allowed to go to this and I am sure it would be very helpful so you can understand what to expect.  Good Luck! 

RedSox15
on 1/15/11 8:40 am - MA
Hello! Fellow Tufts girl as well (Dr. Shikora)
I absolutely love the Tufts Program and loved immersion day .. they really did an excellent job of presenting everything to you regarding pre-op, your surgery and the post-op lifestyle.
I do think that you should attend a HOWL meeting (3rd Monday of each month at 6pm - next meeting is the 24th) to gain more prospective as well. Like Corie said - the first hour is geared towards answering the questions of post-ops (but pre-ops are more than welcome to come) and from 7-8 is the Q&A session for pre-ops. I also attend a smaller, more intimate post-op group on the first Monday of each month. These you pay a co-pay for (HOWL is free) and are lead by either Dr. Power or Dr. Greenberg (the psychs.) I love these ... great help!

Where on the SS are you? There are a ton of us here on the boards who attend a monthly support group here in Bridgewater. This is open to both pre/post-op; spouses or anyone else you want to bring for support. There should be a thread a few posts below this one (or maybe on page 2) that lists all the details on the meetings... feel free to message me as well. This is a GREAT support group. We also see each other alot outside the meetings and have really formed close friendships. We recently had a Christmas party that a lot of members attended and we usually go on "exericise outings" as well ... trust me they are fun and don't sound as bad. hahaha Lisa and I did a weekend in NH and completed a 1/2 marathon ... a group of us completed a full marathon for the Jimmy Fund ... another group of us from the meetings sign up to do 5k's. I could go on and on about the group .. hahha

Please use this forum to ask any questions!! GREAT group of gals here!!!!!!!!!!!!
*Kate*
 HW: 286 SW: 253 CW: 167 GW: 150 

jugilber
on 1/16/11 2:44 pm - MA
Welcome...I am not a tufts person...but if you have any questions not specific to ufts I am here...and I agree with Kate that out support groups are awesome it is really nice to have a group of people who share this very important change in your life with...because it is quite a change...and many people dont understand the trials we go though on a day to day basis
Welcome...hope to see you at one of our meetings
julie

C J
on 1/17/11 6:59 am - Franklin, MA
Hey welcome aboard... I'm still pre-op myself and a patient of Dr. Shah
I have to admit, I didn't get that "warm fuzzy feeling" I was looking for in a surgeon but I've met her two and a half times (once was just to say hi while I was at my pre-op testing appointment)
She has definitely grown on me and I have no doubt she's highly capabale... see, I figure, I don't need a buddy, I need a fantastic surgeon!!!  I'll get my warm fuzzies from others at home, here and at support groups.

I went to Immersion back in October - lots of info crammed in one day which was perfect! It should go quick for him from here... just stick with the program!!!  Was great for me, of the six people in the group, I'm in regular contact with two - it's nice becuase we're sort of going thru the same things at the same time.

I'm still pre-op, waiting to be rescheduled from my last week date that was cancelled (Dr.Shah had a personal emergency) Hopefully I'll be able to answer some questions and pay it forward!!!!   Dunno where I'd be without this board!!!

C J
on 1/19/11 6:10 am - Franklin, MA
UPDATE: I got my new date... MONDAY!!!!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 681 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2251 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4438 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs