5 days out - hard to drink water

Coreen13
on 1/14/11 1:15 am - MA
I had RNY on Monday.  I'm home from the hospital now and find it hard to drink water.  It makes me feel like I'm full of air, tummy hurts and have to belch a lot.  Is that common?  Does it get easier to drink water?  Don't want to get dehyrdrated but I'm not getting much water in.
Kaitlin C.
on 1/14/11 9:31 am - MA
Hey there...  Congrats on going thru with the procedure...that is great.  I'm having mine with Dr. Sandor at Lawrence Memorial in Medford on the 25th...I know that he does surgeries at Winchester Hopsital as well, along with Dr. Ameri.  Sorry for that useless info lol, but thought I would give you a backround... hehe   My friend had her surgery on Nov. 22, and she never mentioned any trouble taking her water and always has a water bottle in hand.  This really means nothing, since she may have just been trying to stay strong and spare me any details... Hopefully not!  But I'm curious for you as well...and hope that you feel better soon!  Did you have the surgery at Winchester Hospital?  A phone call to the doctors office is a good call too if you dont get any feedback...come on people stop slackin!! And why your at it, fill me in on how to upload my pictures on here lol...I have nothing under 20,000 pixels and really dont grasp the concept as it is!  Good luck Coreen13!  And would be great to know more people going thru the process, so stay in touch!   Kaitlin
Just Brooke
on 1/14/11 10:31 am
How much are you drinking? You should be drinking 1 oz every 15 minutes. And I'm pretty sure your other liquids count aswell - Jello, broth, popsicles, etc 

niecie54
on 1/14/11 10:36 am - Swansea, MA
Hi Coreen13 - I am over 4 yrs out and I remember I didn't drink much either at that time.  You always feel full.  I use to forget to eat sometimes.  Are you taking tiny sips?  Sometimes when you take in to much at once could cause a problem.  Also, don't drink out of a straw...and you are not having anything with bubbles right???   My tummy use to hurt when I had dairy....but it is fine now when I eat/ drink it.  As far as the belching I would do that when I ate or drank to fast.  Just remember tiny sips and when you are finally able to eat regular food make sure you CHEW, CHEW, CHEW   However,  If this continues I would  definately call your Drs. office and let them know of your problem.

Best of luck to you and Congratulations on making the best decision of your life.

Niecie

RedSox15
on 1/14/11 11:41 am - MA
Yes, that can be common after surgery - you are still full of the gas that they pump into your stomach for surgery and yes it will get much easier to drink water
*Kate*
 HW: 286 SW: 253 CW: 167 GW: 150 

(deactivated member)
on 1/15/11 2:15 pm - Boston, MA
 I haven't had surgery yet but I've heard that soon after you need to take tiny tiny sips.  Hope you can get more in soon.. Best of luck to you and Congrats!
Coreen13
on 1/18/11 12:08 am - MA
Thanks guys!  The first week was rough but now I feel pretty good. Suprising the change!  I'm working on getting in a lot of liquids but definitely doing  better each day! 
lisa2010
on 1/19/11 1:35 am - MA
 I was having trouble too... could take maybe 2 tiny sips of water at a time, any more and I felt kind of like you described.  I mentioned it at my 2 week appointment wiht my dietician, who surprised me by saying that a lot of people report having trouble with water.  It's dense, and can sometimes not sit too easily immediately post-op.  She suggested substituting Crystal light or 0 calorie Vitamin Water for some of my water.  I did that yesterday, and was so surprised at how much less time it took me to drink a 20oz bottle of the Vitamin Water.  

If you're peeing normally, don't worry so much.  Keep trying to meet your goal of 64 oz water each day, but know that you're not dehydrated if you pee.  And maybe try substituting something else for half your water intake.  Now I'm doing 44 oz water oz water and 20 oz of something else.

Starting Weight: 277.5, Pre-op Weight: 259.3, Current Weight: 176.8

Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 681 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2251 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4438 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4574 views