I have a date...Why is this making me anxious?!?!?

LianaMarie248
on 1/11/11 12:14 pm - MA
I was given february 14th as my surgery date for the gastric bypass. I was nervous and excited and all before...now Im semi excited and extremely nervous. Maybe Im reading too many posts about bad stuff happening. I dunno. I have a lot of wuestions...Like, What do people feel about the liquid pre op diet? Will i be freaking out since I cant have solid food? What about after? Is the pain going to last a very long time? How about loose skin? Im 23 and Im approximately 245lbs. On average, How long til I lose the weight they want me to lose? Anyway, Thanks so much for even just reading this. I appreciate it!

~Lee
RedSox15
on 1/11/11 11:12 pm - MA
Hey Lee! Welcome to the MA forum.

I am 26 (was 25 when I had the surgery) and don't have a lot of loose skin. Unfortunately there is nothing you can do (such as exercise or diet) to prevent loose skin but the fact that we are young is the only thing we have got going for us! LOL

I had my surgery at Tufts in Boston and I had no pre-op liquid diet (they wanted me to focus on high protein, low fat and low sugar - the same thing as the post-op diet we were going to be on)

Luckily I didnt have too, too much pain. They will send you home with painkillers. I had trouble sleeping for the first few nights and I like to sleep on my side but couldn't due to my incisions.

There is really no way to calculate how much weight you will lose in a specific amount of time -- everyone is different. Some lose really quickly and other lose really slowly. I lost a lot of weight quickly and then hit a stall. Stall are NORMAL!! Please don't freak out if there is a week you don't lose weight .. I can't stress that enough hehehe

Best of luck!! This will be the best Valentine's Day!

Kate
*Kate*
 HW: 286 SW: 253 CW: 167 GW: 150 

C J
on 1/11/11 11:44 pm - Franklin, MA
Hey Lee - welcome to the MA group!!!
In my opinion, if you're NOT nervous something isn't right... I mean, this is a life altering decision and a great one at that!! The fact that you're still young yet mature enough to know that you've got to make this decision is highly commendable!!!    Re: the weight loss and how much/how long.. everyone will tell you that's up to you and how compliant you are and your body itself.

I'm in the Tufts program as well, they don't require a liquid diet for all patients but I plan on doing it for myself.  I think it will help when I'm post-op and on liquids, this way I won't "freak out" at the lack of solids (which is only temporary).

This message board will have posts of the good the bad and the ugly - which will heighten your awareness from all angles... I mean, it is surgery but if you're young and "healthy" other than the weight AND most importantly you follow you Dr's orders you'll do great!!!!

Christine :-)
Sue M.
on 1/12/11 7:43 am - Nantucket, MA
Nerves are normal.  You are taking on a big life change!!

I didn't have a liquid diet pre-op, but had 4 weeks of puree after... it wasn't so bad.  towards the end of week 3 I was getting a little nutty, but I wasn't hungry, I just wanted to CHEW. 

I lost 120lbs in about 13 months.  With that said, everyone is different.  Often the first 6 months is dramatic loss, then the amount decreases after that, simply because you have LESS to lose.  Just expect to be different than whoever you compare yourself to.  :)

as for skin, age is on your side!

Best of luck, and stay in touch!
Read my blog, BARIATHLETE   I run because I can.

First 5K race October 4, 2009   (34.59)  PR 5/22/11 (27:26)
First 5 Mile: January 1, 2011 (50:30)
First 10K: July 4, 2010 (1:03.26) New PR 4/10/11 (1:01.14)
First 10 Mile: April 11, 2010  (1:46.15)
First 1/2 marathon: June 13, 2010 (2:22.21)  PR: 5/1/11 (2:17.30)
First Marathon: October 16, 2011: 5:47:20

Goofy Challenge: January 7-8, 2012
If you think you can, you can.  If you think you can't, you're right. - Mary Kay Ash
RedSox15
on 1/12/11 11:48 am - MA
I think I'm the oddball here - I wasn't ever nervous going into it! LOL
*Kate*

LianaMarie248
on 1/12/11 8:00 pm - MA
Thanks so much for the info and kind words. I am looking forward to it and Im tired of being heavy but its scaring me a lil. Not to mention the fact that I am losing my job for it because there is no one to cover me while I am out. Now Im job hunting too in the crazy economy... :/

I think the best feeling tho is that I know Im going to be healthy and happy when this is all said and done. And be able to wear jeans again. lol
RedSox15
on 1/12/11 10:34 pm - MA
OMG - I am so sorry about your job situation; I can't believe they are doing that to you over surgery.  Totally not fair!!

Yes, you are right - the best feeling is knowing that you will be living a healthier life :)
*Kate*

LianaMarie248
on 1/13/11 1:48 am - MA
Its fine. I am just worried that since my degree is still in progress I won't be able to find something making what I make now...or find something at all but we have some savings and I'm hoping it will help for the time I'm not working. The worst is not having a distraction afterwards in case I get tempted to try and eat. That wud be awful. I'm also only taking 2 classes to be on the safe side for my grades. Wish me luck! Lol
Meg_S
on 1/13/11 7:10 am - Natick, MA

The same thing happened to me. They started giving me a hard time when I told them about my surgery. I was terminated the first day back but at least I got short term disability while I was recovering. On the bright side, the economy, at least in MA is starting to pick up and you'll be a better interview candidate!

Highest weight = 272, surgery weight = 240, goal weight = 135   

LianaMarie248
on 1/14/11 11:45 pm - MA
omg. Thats awful! I hope everything is working itself out.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 681 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2251 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4438 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4574 views