Preop Nerves

Coreen13
on 12/28/10 5:58 am - MA

Having my surgery 1/11/10.  Very nervous.  Can anyone tell me what happens that day when you go in?  Thanks!

lisa2010
on 12/28/10 6:35 am - MA
I'm a little nervous too... surgery 1/3/11.  Where are you going?  I'll be at Lahey clinic, and I can share the info from my pre-op class if it helps you (could be a *little* different, but hopefully at least generally the same?)

I was told clear liquids only from midnight on, nothing at all 2 hours before arrival time.

Leave any meds at home. bring CPAP/BIPAP Machine, bring inhaler (if applicable)

Leave all valuables at home (I was told basically not to bring anything, nothing needed).

Upon arrival, go to the admitting office.  After checking in, go to the ambulatory surgery center.

Lock up clothing and put on johnny, then wait in the waiting area until called to the "Hold and Prep" area.

There, I will be placed on a stretcher.  I will meet an anesthesiologist, a nurse, and my surgeon (possibly also the physician assistant or a resident).  This is the time to ask any last minute questions.

The IV will be placed, and antibiotics will be administered.  I *might* receive meeds at this time to help relax.  A tiny injection of anti-clotting medication is also administered (Heparin)

I will be brought by stretcher to the operating room.

General anesthesia is administered.

Breathing tube and catheter are placed.  (I was promised that this happens *after* I am asleep, and the breathing tube comes out before I wake up, although the cat will still be in)

Surgery is performed.

I will be transferred to the recovery room.  No visitors are allowed.  I will be placed in vemodyne boots, which help circulate blood through the legs.

I will then be transferred to the in-patient unit.  There, I'll be given a spirometer (breathing toy).  That's where I can have visitors, and I'll be expected to take 5 small walks daily.  

Again, I know this might not be exactly the same "day at a glance" for other hospitals... but hopefully having the basic overview will hel;p you be more comfortable.  I know it did for me!

-Lisa
Starting Weight: 277.5, Pre-op Weight: 259.3, Current Weight: 176.8

Coreen13
on 12/29/10 1:19 am - MA
Hi Lisa.  Thanks so much!  That is great information!  Looks like you learned a lot in your class!  I am going to Winchester Hospital.  I live in Billerica though and my family goes to Lahey and we've always thought it was a great hospital!  I just met a doctor that I loved and he works out of Winchester.   

Your surgery is so close!  I'm excited for  you!  I'm sure its going to go great!  If you need any support, please let me know!  Have you done a lot of shopping to prepare for when you come home?  Sounds like they vary a bit but my doctor has us on a 4 week liquid diet, then 4 week foods like mash potatoes, cottage cheese (squishy), then week 8 you can add in a few more things, etc.

lisa2010
on 12/29/10 5:20 am - MA
I did learn a lot in the class.  I've been so impressed with Lahey's approach so far... they are so good about giving tons of information, and everyone is very supportive.  I had a LOT of appointments.... I know a lot of people that refuse to go to any hospital but Winchester, though, for anything!  (it's the closest to me, but my PCP is at Lahey, and it's the only hospital I've ever had any kind of surgery at, so it made sense for me).

Things vary a LOT post op.  I'm on a liquid diet for the first week (water, broth, sf jello, plus 3 protein shakes/day).  Then Day 8 I get an egg for breakfast (poached or soft scrambled).  Day 9 I get an egg for breakfast, and 1-2 oz of soft protein for lunch.  Day 9 it's an egg for breakfast, and 1-2 oz of soft protein for both lunch and dinner.  At that point I'll work up to the point where I'm eating 3oz of protein at each meal.  They don't put a time frame on that... it's different for everyone.  I'm supposed to stop eating when I feel full regardless of how much I've eaten.  The protein drinks continue at this stage, until I'm getting the food in and then I'll wean off them.    Once I'm able to consistently eat 3oz protein at each meal and feel like I have room for more, I move to stage 3, which means adding cooked, non-starchy vegetables after protein at lunch and dinner, and fruit after protein at breakfast.  Only after that can I add starches back in.  

I haven't done much shopping, because I can't eat anything for the first week and the grocery store is right across the street from me.  I went today to make sure that I had lunch foods for my daughter to pack for school, and I bought chicken and beef broth, and some more Crystal light.  I did order a sample pack of Syntax Nectar, bought 2 bottles of IsoPure premade, and a big container of GNC brand chocolate whey isolate powder.  I figure that will get me started with protein shakes.  I'll go out later next week, or send a friend if I don't feel well enough, to pick up eggs and some other soft protein foods to get started.

Starting Weight: 277.5, Pre-op Weight: 259.3, Current Weight: 176.8

RedSox15
on 12/28/10 7:50 am - MA
Hi there!  You'll do great with your surgery =)

Lisa was pretty on the nose .. my surgery was at Tufts and pretty similiar.

I was told no food, no liquids after midnight before surgery (tiny sip of water was ok with my morning thyroid pill) *my surgery was at 12 noon, sucked to have no food no water but oddly enough I was no hungry LOL

Went to surgery and got admitted

Change into johnny (ooh la la!) and wait in waiting room

Got called in and walked down a loooong hallway LOL. Got prepped with IV and meds to help relax ... anesthesiologist and surgeon come to visit.

Get wheeled in and bypassed!  LOL
Yes, the breathing tube and catheter are placed while you are sleeping.  The breathing tube is also taken out while you are sleeping.  The catheter will come out on day 2.
*Kate*
 HW: 286 SW: 253 CW: 167 GW: 150 

Coreen13
on 12/29/10 1:21 am - MA
Thanks Kate!  It's great to see people that are a year out and doing great!  Definitely helps to alleviate my fears and questions of if I'm doing the right thing! 
Hi everyone!  I just wanted to pop in and lend my support to my fellow beans.  Aren't we lucky to have such great hospitals here?   The Lahey outline is excellent and my experience was much the same.  The only thing I would add is: think about how comfy you are w/r/t student nurses and docs.  
I really admire patients who share their experience w/ students, but I'm not one of them!  I would have stated no students prior to my admission but that's just me!

Oh, I've heard Lahey's rooms are ALL private!  I requested and got one for a bit more $$, but Lahey really gets it!

Feel free to PM and try not to stress too much.  I was so out of it by the time I was in the OR ... I don't even remember the ride.

Lucy van Pelt 
 Highest 255 Surgery 248 Current 170
Goal: 150

AwesomeForever
on 12/30/10 12:11 pm - Marlborough, MA
Dear Lucy:
I had Dr Gazmuri but Dr Partridge came in on the weekend to visit. She is an excellent surgeon. I had a private room at NWH because the roomie I had at first had all sorts of psychological issues. She could not calm down. My PM nurse found me a private room at the same rate as the shared room. This did help when I could get some sleep. Lots of interuptions to check on my well being!! But isn't that what we like about the hospital.
I know it was hard to have all those students but they need to learn. I am so grateful for this surgery.
I could do so much more this past fall when I traveled. I was more active and always on the go. I found that it was easy to care for myself because I prepared. I spent five weeks in Europe! I came back nine pounds lighter.
Linda
Coreen13
on 12/29/10 9:46 pm - MA
We are lucky to have such great hospitals!  Every time I think about moving somewhere warmer, that does occur to me!  Hope you guys are staying warm!  And thanks for all the information!
RedSox15
on 12/29/10 10:30 pm - MA
When it comes to hospitals, schools and sports teams you really can't beat Boston !!! LOL
*Kate*
 HW: 286 SW: 253 CW: 167 GW: 150 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 682 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2252 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views