Fitbit Questions

Jojeki
on 12/11/10 1:07 am - Fall River, MA
I have been reading up on the Fitbit website and on OH to see the reviews and I think I may want one of these.  I checked online for Best Buy and it shows that they may have some available at a local store.  Before I run out and get one I was wondering if I am better off getting it through the Fitbit website or through Best Buy with a warranty.

Has anyone purchased it through either source and which would you recommend and why?

Is this item waterproof for swimming, etc.?

What would you say are the pros and cons of this item?

Throw your two cents in as I am curious about this item.

Dawn
HW: 271.5  SW: 246  CW: 172.8  GW: 145

RedSox15
on 12/11/10 12:32 pm - MA
DO NOT BUY IT THROUGH WWW.FITBIT.COM !! GET IT THROUGH BEST BUY AND PURCHASE THE 2 YEAR WARRANTY!!!!!!!!!

The customer service @ FitBit is absolutely atrocious!! UGH UGH! Just ask Lisa!

WHen your fitbit works correctly the product is awesome! you will become totally addicted to it. i honestly think that getting it through best buy w/ a warranty is the way to go ... there have been so many issues with them the warranty is practically needed.

however, I have had no issues with mine (knock on wood) but I know that several of us have had many issues - lisa, feel free to give your input here hahaha

No, you cannot get the fitbit wet - no swimming! but you can manually enter in activities on the website.

the pros definitely outweigh the cons ... the fitbit is totally worth it but please purchase it through best buy (fitbit.com will take about 2-3 months to ship.)
*Kate*
 HW: 286 SW: 253 CW: 167 GW: 150 

Jojeki
on 12/11/10 1:29 pm - Fall River, MA
I went to Best Buy in North Dartmouth, MA tonight.  They said they had 4 in stock but when I got to the store the display was empty.  The sales associates looked it up on the computer and it did show 4 so they went in back and found them.  I did buy the 2 year warranty for $14.99.  I was so excited to get home and try it out. 

I charged the Fitbit and then went online to download the software and install it.  I am aggrivated that the USB ports (I have 3) are not recognizing the USB connection and it keeps showing red and states it is unplugged.  I am running Windows XP and I looked up the device manager and it states it is working properly.  After 2 hours of uninstalling and reinstalling the software still no luck so I emailed [email protected] to see what they suggest. 

What kinds of problems did everyone else have?  I am not sure if it is a hardware or software problem with the Fitbit or my laptop.  At this point if they have no suggestions I may bring it back and try another one and if it still does not work I give up.

RedSox15
on 12/11/10 10:17 pm - MA
HaHa - go figure, my usb port decided not to work this morning! I knew as soon as I said I had no problems with mine something would happen.

Problems ... uhh, Lisa's fitbits just decide to **** the bed on her - they have stopped working all together where they will not synch and they will not count steps. SHe can explain better ... and should be around later to elaborate.

see what support says and if they dont help maybe try another fitbit... i hope you get it working soon - its such a neat little thing!
*Kate*

Jojeki
on 12/11/10 11:41 pm - Fall River, MA
I was up for 3 hours last night and another 2 hours this morning reading the Fitbit forums, trying to go to the manufacturer's site to download different drivers, etc.  I have Win XP and my husband has Win Vista and it won't recognize the usb on his laptop either so I give up.  From what I read on the Fitbit forums is that if you try to uninstall and reinstall and you try all the troubleshooting it just may be a bad base.  Off I go to Best Buy today to exchange it and if that one does not work, I am getting a refund - I haven't had one all this time and I won't pull my hair out if I can't have one (goodness knows I am going to lose hair possibly anyway LOL)

Will post later if I get another one and whether or not I get it to work.

RedSox15
on 12/12/10 1:01 am - MA
ArghH!  Frustrating!! :(  Sorry...

I hope the next one is able to synch for you!  I'm hoping you just have a bad base .. I had one of those and fitbit mailed me a new one for free
*Kate*

Jojeki
on 12/12/10 4:19 am - Fall River, MA
Just got home from Best Buy and installed the software again, plugged in the USB and it works!  Now to figure out everything else and see if it is worth keeping LOL. 

RedSox15
on 12/12/10 7:14 am - MA
YESSSSSSS!!  So glad it worked for you!  It is totally worth it ... I almost guarantee you will keep it :)
*Kate*

Jojeki
on 12/12/10 12:41 pm - Fall River, MA

Do you or any of the others subscribe to the Premium service or just the free service?  And someone was mentioning there is a group either on Fitbit or Facebook?

Lynn C
on 12/13/10 1:51 am
IMO the premium service is not needed - it gives you more analytical tools - I just want to know steps and calories and I can get that for free. There is a facebook group I'll invite you in if someone hasn't already!

Lynn C ~
Banded 9/12/2005 ~ Revision to VSG on 9/7/2010 ~ Losing again with a Keto lifestyle

Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 681 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2251 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4438 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4574 views