pre-op weight loss

Candie1220
on 11/27/10 6:23 am - Tyngsboro, MA
HI my name is Candie I met with my surgeon over a year ago still have to lose the pre op weight requirement, I have actually gained weight< which has made me enter a eating disorder program in bedford, nh.  I cannot be the only one struggling with this if anyone has ideas suggestio ns that would be helpful even encouragement I could use it all.  How did you lose the weight before surgery? ,

thanks for your help
Candie
Liz J.
on 11/27/10 7:32 am - Woonsocket, RI
How much do you have to lose?   
Candie1220
on 11/27/10 8:10 am - Tyngsboro, MA
I have around 35lbs to lose.
LizzyF13
on 11/28/10 4:57 am - MA
Hi Candie,

I'm having the same problem, I just can't get myself focused even though my surgery is coming up very soon (right now it's Dec. 13th but I want to pu**** back a little bit).  I feel like part of me hasn't accepted the fact that my life is going to change drastically within the next month or so.  Sorry I can't offer any advice, but just know you're not alone!!  

Liz
skinnycat
on 11/28/10 8:28 am - Peabody, MA
Hi Candie,

I am surprised, my surgical team put me on a liquid diet called HMR.  I am surprised they
didn't have you do that.  Part of the reason why they want you to lose some weight is to get
rid of the fat around your liver.

I hope this helps you.

Donna

HW: 314 SW: 298 CW : 232 Goal: 160  -My OH magazine discount code is                    KELLEY11 if anyone interested in a subs OH magazine    
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Kelly A.
on 12/1/10 11:08 am - MA
Hi there!  This is my first post, I just joined OH today   I guess I am lucky as my surgeon is not overly concerned about weight loss.  Yes, he suggested I lose some (and really he said 10-20 lbs would do) but it's not keeping them from moving along.  I haven't done well at losing but now that the day is closer (had pre-ops this week, started group workshops, but no date set) I am getting serious.  Hence, joining OH!  I have made some positive changes and accomplished small goals (ie: cut way back on coffee and diet soda) but now my goals are more in line with the permanent changes post surgery.  So this week I want to set small goals: 1. don't eat and drink at same time.  2. get 60-80 grams of protein per day 3. get to the gym twice this week. 

I hope the idea of setting small goals helps!  Good luck!!!
(ticker represents weight I want to loose before surgery)
Kelly Alvarez Roux En YMarch 29, 2011 start354/DOS313/goal154         
lisa2010
on 12/13/10 2:37 am - MA
I've been struggling with it for a few months; I lost around 8 lbs, but not enough.  My surgery is scheduled for Jan. 3, and my doctor put me on the HMR 500 liquid diet for 3 weeks (if I'd lost a little more weight, it would have been 2 weeks).  Even if your surgeon doesn't normally do it, maybe it's worth looking into?  Today is my first day on it, so I can't say much about its' effectiveness, but I'm completely confident in the hospital I'm using so if they say it works, I believe it!
On the other hand, I've also heard of people using Weigh****chers to lose the weight pre-op.  You can even do WW online, and a few months of that might be just what you need.
Good luck!
grampat_08
on 12/30/10 3:24 am
Hi Candie I am in the same boat.. I started this journey in October I have completed all my pretesting.  I do not have a surgery date however I am meeting with the surgeon  for the first time on Jan 6th.  I have changed the appointment few times because I have not lost the ten pounds.  Therefore I am feeling a little nervous about meeting the Doctor this week. good luck to you.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 681 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2251 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4438 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4574 views