Yikes...Its really happening...

ckoneonly1
on 11/16/10 11:00 am
 Hi Everyone!  This is my fist post.. but I've been creeping on the site for a few months now.  My name is Cate, I'm 28 and I live on the South Shore of  Boston.  I am pre-op RNY Gastric Bypass, surgery scheduled for 12/09... I go for my pre-op appt with the anesthesiologist and then with my surgeon.  I started this whole process on Aug 3rd, 2010 and things have been moving SOOOO fast.  I'm not complaining but starting to blackout with the reality of everything.  I started at 286 and now weigh about 246.  I'm wondering how to survive the pre-op diet (figures I start the pre-op diet the day before Thanksgiving...), my doc says 4-5 protein shakes, 1 meal of lean protein & veggies.  What protein powder got you thru this pre-op process? 
Any advice/tips you can give would be sooo greatly appreciated!
Thanks again! :)
RedSox15
on 11/17/10 3:06 am - MA
Hi Cate! 

Welcome to the MA board ...... GREAT bunch of gals here!  The pre-op diet is the worst!  Luckily I did not have a strict one (such as liquids only) but they wanted me to start focusing on my protein first and low fat/low sugar.  I found out it wasnt so bad and it helped me prepare for after my surgery!  I also started out at 286 and was 253 the day of surgery.  Dec 9th will be here before you know it! 

Doctor up your protein shakes - that is the best advice I can give you!  Add fresh fruit, frozen fruit, jello pudding flavors (will help to thicken them up to be more like a milkshake), peanut butter and sugar free syrups!  Since I add a ton of stuff to my shakes I dont go all out when I buy my protein powder (why spend the money when I wont be tasting the powder!  lol)

I buy the small tubs of Pure Protein powder from Market Basket (when I dare step foot in there lol) and add the above stuff... this is my fav shake recipe:

Neopolitian Protein Shake
1 cup fat free milk
1 scoop vanilla protein powder
1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder + 2tbsp sf jello choc instant pudding
handful frozen strawberries (or sf strawberry jelly)
blend for 2 minutes, then add ice
 tastes just like Neoppolitian ice cream!!!!

Also check out Eggface's shake recipes ... she has some good one:
http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/2007/06/my-fa vorite-protein-shake-recipes.html

BEST OF LUCK!!!
-Kate
*Kate*
 HW: 286 SW: 253 CW: 167 GW: 150 

AwesomeForever
on 11/17/10 12:58 pm - Marlborough, MA
Good evening Cate:

Your surgery date is close. Granted it is coming up quickly. You will have time to reflect on what it means to you.

You have made successful choices this fall, I see.

My protein shakes are more like smoothies because I add frozen fruit or ice. I like many varieties. I chose to add Synthra 6 to my greens smoothie that I made for tonight's protein drink.
It is a way to get my vegetables in and my protein.

My favorite Nectar protein powders in the summer are the Roadside Lemonade and the Lemon Tea. I also like Fuzzy Navel. You can get protein powder at Walmart. Just be sure to decide whether it will be a meal replacement drink or snack. Check the calories!

I sometimes buy a RTD at the grocery store that says it has 51 g of protein. I am a RNY patient so I know that I will not be able to absorb all of the protein no matter what the claims.

I lost 81 pounds prior to surgery using protein drinks with fruit as a breakfast. Before deciding to do that I skipped breakfast as my morning was often too hectic. I was a letter carrier for the post office and delivered Express Mail in the mornings. It was easy to drink a protein drink and thus not feel famished by the time lunch rolled around. I think you may have to pick and chose what you may like.

I love the individual Jay Robb packages of protein powder that I have been able to carry with me when I travel. It was these same packages that sustained me while I was away in Europe for five weeks. There are many flavors. I love the orange dreamscicle and may add a sugar free package of the orange burst Walmart powder drink for our water bottles to that to spark it up. I lost 9 pounds while on vacation!

Linda
CATHERINE81
on 11/17/10 11:24 pm - BROCKTON, MA
HEY MAMMA IM IN WEYMOUTH AND THERE GREAT SUPPORT GROUPS IN THIS AREA QUINCY AND BRIDGEWATER TONS TONS OF SUPPORT... WELCOME HUNNY
ckoneonly1
on 11/18/10 12:08 am
 Thank you all so much for your time & caring responses! The recipes you posted, look great and I will definitely be trying them!  I have purchased some Nectar, Jay Robb, Click, and Unjury sample packets for Protein Powder.  I also have a ton of SF syrups. I'm sure if I doctor them up I'll be able to get them down :) lol

Thanks again!! and Nice to meet everyone!
jugilber
on 11/18/10 4:07 pm - MA
I enjoy the click protien powder...all flavors...
But preop I like the HMR shakes...I did them for quite a while....3 months
Good luck...take time to absorb the process...as this is a pivotal point in your life...it WILL change forever....remeber how you feel...journal...take advantage of the support groups in your area....I love the gals from Bridgewater/quincy...This process would be so much harder without them!!!
And if you are not now...start exercising....it is crucial....
Anyhow I hope ti bump into you along the way at one of our meetings!!! Go preop...people all have great advise.
Good luck
Julie

Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 681 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2251 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4438 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4574 views