I hate my scale...

Jojeki
on 11/6/10 8:49 am - Fall River, MA
Going on 8 weeks, had a stall at 3 weeks that lasted until week 6, lost 4 lbs and now going on week 8 and the scale hates me.  I know everyone says it is normal, it happens but my mind says, "well here is another failed attempt".

So let me ask you this....at what point after surgery did you notice a significant pattern of steady loss?  Did you find that there was a target calorie intake that seemed to work for you that would help with weight loss?

Dawn
HW: 271.5  SW: 246  CW: 172.8  GW: 145

RedSox15
on 11/6/10 10:48 pm - MA
Hey Dawn - love your  new picture !

Stalls .... ugh they S U C K !!    I finally just broke a 4 month stall.

Yes, it is normal .. LOL I had to say it !  I also know how frustrating they are and how frustrating it can be to hear people say how normal they are ... it just gets you down a little more!  BUT the stall WILL break, trust me - you are still very new out of surgery.

I honestly cannot remember what point after surgery I noticed a steady loss.  I weighed myself each week but did not record down the # ... I lost pretty steadily up until May.  On my birthday (April 25) I was down 96 pounds.  As of Nov 1st I have lost 115 pounds.  So from about May-Nov I have only lost 19 pounds.  I shouldn't say "only" but you know what I mean! lol

I also never track my calories, so I don't know what amount helps me lose the most or what amount puts me in a stall the most ... I probably should start tracking my calories but I just don't ... I only look at the protein, fat and sugar content of what I eat.

I don't know how much my rambling above will help LOL!! :)
*Kate*
 HW: 286 SW: 253 CW: 167 GW: 150 

Jojeki
on 11/7/10 11:46 am - Fall River, MA
Thanks - Nice new picture yourself.  Mine is a little dark, that's what happens when no one is home and you are in the mood for a new pic and you do it yourself holding it at arms length LOL.

I think I needed to say it out loud and get a kick in the ass from everyone to remember it is still early and I need to be patient.  Thanks for your input!

katchikat
on 11/8/10 4:05 am - Methuen, MA
DwindlingFlower
on 11/6/10 10:51 pm - Quincy, MA
The funny thing is I know you know this already but...... There is no pattern of steady loss, no one loses weight this way.... NO ONE!!  youll lose a lb here or a lb there and then 8lbs all at once... its normal and thats the way it happens to everyone. You do have to make sure you are eating enough, because that could be causing your stalls.  If your not getting in enough protein and calories you body may be in starvation mode, in which case its going to hold on to every last fat cell in your body.  Are you exercising? If not start walking atleast... that will help. But honestly there is no pattern, itll look like a jagged line if you plot it.

DwindlingFlower

Jojeki
on 11/7/10 11:52 am - Fall River, MA
I started exercising 1 x a week.  I need to join a gym or something but money is tight right now.  I am going to check with my local community center to see if they still have a fitness room and see about getting down there regularly for exercise.  As far as calories I think at most I am averaging 500-600 calories a day.  My protein I am finally getting up each week as I am able to tolerate more foods.

I need to call my nutritionist to see what her thoughts are on my food intake.

marieh
on 11/7/10 5:00 am - So. Easton, MA
Hi Dawn,

I found my losses had a "step" pattern....one week I'd lose a pound, the next nothing, the next, two, etc. My surgeon said most of his patients seemed to lose that way. I will say that the stalls suck big time tho! It seemed like one month I'd lose NOTHING and then next it felt like I'd lose 20!  Just follow your doc's orders and you'll do quite well!!

Marie

Genise G.
on 11/8/10 5:39 am - Jamaica Plain, MA
My scale hasn't moved since at least October 1st.  I'm slightly disappointed but I know that I need to make some changes.  I'm working on getting more protein but it's difficult.  I'm also not exercising as much as I should.

Hopefully things will pick up for the both of us soon

Good Luck!
genisegibbs.blogspot.com/
Please check out my blog!

Jojeki
on 11/9/10 8:04 am - Fall River, MA
How much protein are you getting in?  I am averaging approx 35-45 (with food alone) still not drinking protein drinks.

DwindlingFlower
on 11/9/10 11:46 am - Quincy, MA
You definately need to suppliment with a protein shake. There are so many options out there, if you need advice on that too, just ask we have tons of ideas... but really especially early on you need the protein shakes... it counts towards your liquid intake for the day and gives you a ton of protein all at the same time. Advice #1, buy protein powder from GNC.... because... once you try it, if you dont like it, and still have the reciept and its within 30 days of the purchase you can return it even though its opened and used. Thats their guarantee return policy, use it to your advantage.  You buy something you dont like, take it back, try something else.  Everyone has their preferences but you gotta find something you can tolerate.  Buying from GNC.com has more choices than the stores do and you can return to the store if you dont like what you get.

Hope this helps!!

DwindlingFlower

Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 681 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2251 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4438 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4574 views