Frustrated about protein and eating

Jojeki
on 10/17/10 9:17 am - Fall River, MA

Tuesday i will be 5 weeks out.  Able to start eating low calorie solids now.  My problem is that I feel hungry but have no appetite.  When I do attempt to eat, I don't find any meat to be palatable.  I have tried small bites, I have tried cooking the foods different ways and I just cannot bring myself to eat it.  If I do manage to eat something, I can't get past 3-4 bites.  I know I have to get the protein in but I cannot tolerate the protein drinks or the Isopure.  I am barely eating so to add protein powder in, not even sure what to mix it into.  I don't like yogurt, cottage cheese, refried beans, etc.  i am a picky simple eater.

I am getting my liquids in alot better.  Not quite 64, but at least averaging about 48+ oz a day.  My primary put me on a thyroid medication which I take in the morning on an empty stomach, but the pharmacist said to wait at least 4 hours before taking a multivitamin or calcium.  So there are times I forget to take the vitamin or calcium or both.

I am starting to emotionally go downhill.  Buyer's Remorse? Perhaps.  Desperation? Definitely.  I am feeling like a failure at this and I know there is no turning back now.  I just never realized how hard this was going to be.

Anyone want to throw their two cents in?

HW: 271.5  SW: 246  CW: 172.8  GW: 145

RedSox15
on 10/17/10 9:31 am, edited 10/17/10 9:32 am - MA
It is so normal what you are feeling ! A lot of people go thru a buyers remorse feeling early out. It is absolutely normal to not be able to get all your protein in early out through foods. it stinks you don't like protein shakes...have you tried doctoring them up a little bit? I need to add stuff to mine in order for me to drink them.. I make them w/ fresh fruit, sf syrups and jello pudding to thicken them up to a more milkshake consistency. I can't drink them with just milk and powder (or water and powder)

At 5 weeks out a lot of people are only able to eat 3-4 bites of their food. Put the food aside and go back to it a little later. I take my thyroid medication early in the morning (about 530, when I get in the shower for work) and take my multivitamin and b12 when I eat breakfast (8am.) I don't wait 4 hours between my thryoid meds and vitamins, my NUt and doctors said no need to wait 4 hours. However you should wait two hours in between calcium and your multivitamin.

It WILL get better, trust me
*Kate*
 HW: 286 SW: 253 CW: 167 GW: 150 

skinnycat
on 10/17/10 11:06 pm - Peabody, MA
Hi,

I am sorry you are having a hard time with your protein.  I have Isopure Zero carb vanilla.  I buy it on naturesbest.com for about $35.00.

I mix mine with diet tonic.  Orange, like a creamsicle, Root beer, like a rootbear float.  Any flavor you want.  I know it is difficult to drink tonic but mixing it with the Isopure the carbination goes away.  I pour my tonic about a 1/2 to 1 hour before so the carbination goes away.  If you like sweet that is the way to go. 
  HW: 314 SW: 298 CW : 232 Goal: 160  -My OH magazine discount code is                    KELLEY11 if anyone interested in a subs OH magazine    
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

jugilber
on 10/18/10 2:25 am - MA
IT DOES GET BETTER!!!
I know when I heard that in the begining I was like NO ITS NOT...you can't possibly know how I feel....
BUT...it did.  At that stage it was taking me and my wife over an hour to eat 3oz of protein, the first 2-3 months are tough...you WILL get through it!!!!
Do you like B&M baked beans?  a nice soft protien, easily to take in, good amount protein, also eggs,etc.  Meat was so tough...and sometimes still is...especially chicken. i ahd an easier time with very lean hamburger...like mixed like taco meat...
Sorry your having a tough time....just temporary!!!
Hang in there
Julie

Jojeki
on 10/18/10 10:17 am - Fall River, MA
Someone had suggested to me also to try Nonfat Dry milk and mix some into my foods to get some protein that way.  I picked some up at the market tonight and 1/4 of the envelope has 8 g of protein.  I mixed some into my sf pudding tonight to see how the texture/taste is.  It made the pudding a little thick and slightly lumpy but once I put in in my mouth the little lumps break right down.  I just know that protein powder makes me feel sick to my stomach.

Thanks for the replies I do appreciate it and keep any ideas coming.

Dawn
HW: 271.5  SW: 246  CW: 172.8  GW: 145

DwindlingFlower
on 10/19/10 12:49 am - Quincy, MA
a friend recently told me that if you dont like protein shakes then your doing something wrong.... in the sense that there are sooooo many things you can add to doctor your shakes and make them absolutely delicious.  There are tons and tons of recipes out there on the net and in books so just start looking.  Recently I tried a recipe a friend posted awhile back and made a pistacio shake that tasted like pistacio ice cream, which was one of my fav ben and jerrys flavors of ice cream.  Thats just an example. I have a cabinet full of different sugar free flavors of torani syrup that you can add to a basic vanilla or choc to change the flavor.  Try adding fruits or nuts or peanut butter.  Try different variations of milk. I switched to soy milk personally, it has more flavor and more protein. If its the protein powders your having issues with, try a different kind of protein... most protein powders out there are whey protein, try soy protein if your having trouble.... another friend swears by spirutein or something to that affect.  Im almost a year out and I still have a protein shake every morning for breakfast, its a really easy way to get in alot of protein.

As far as food recipes go... I would steer clear of chicken for now, its just a very difficult protein to tolerate, especially early out and sometimes for some of us for life.  Try going to bariatriceating.com or livingafterwls.com or theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/

There are lots of different things out there to try...  hope this helps...

DwindlingFlower

RedSox15
on 10/19/10 2:31 am - MA
Mmm, pistachio shake
*Kate*
 HW: 286 SW: 253 CW: 167 GW: 150 

jessicakk
on 10/23/10 4:34 am - Salem, NH
Dawn,

you and I are going through the exact same things. Exact same eating difficulties and exact same feelings. Im having the worst day today. Feeling terrible about my eating habits... or lack thereof. I wish that I had more desire to eat ... and I wish my protein shakes seemed more palatable. So, trust me. Im right there with you. I just hit the week mark on Thursday... two days after you. Ugh. Why is it feel like the world is down on my head. Do you ever feel that way from where you are ... in regards to your progress? Email me anytime.

Jessica
kgrenier12
on 11/1/10 3:25 am - pembroke, MA
have you tried Spirutein protein shakes?  they are soy based and are not whey based.

i really don't like the aftertastes of whey products

you can buy Spirutein at health food stores - you can buy 1 serving packets in a variety of flavors or a big can....  I recommend the chocolate flavor.

Do you go to support groups?  They are awesome especially when you need to troubleshoot any issues you might have.

Also - when I was 5 weeks out I was also exhausted which impacted my attitude and I felt drained.
It does get better.

SW: 262   CW: 170  GW:155
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 681 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2251 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4438 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4574 views